DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2017
Country
BE
State
Antwerpen
Hi!

I've been having a lot of nerve pain lately. I use Tramadol (50mg) because it shuts down the pain center in my brain. That, and cannabis, are the only two things that seem to work.

Now the problem is; cannabis is illegal where I live (you can't even get a prescription for medicinal cannabis here), and I refuse to get hooked on the Tramadol, but the dosage I'm taking (4 or 5 each day) isn't sufficient anymore.

Does anyone have some tips or tricks to cope with these nerve pains? The only other thing I've noticed that helps sometimes is massaging the palm of my hands, but I can't keep rubbing my hands all day...

Greetings,

Narah

Hi Narah, Welcome

They're all pain relieving roll on or spray. I personally like the roll on,because it's not messy.
My podiatrist recommended it for my feet the Plantar Fasciitis that I had.

I find it helps sometimes in combination with maybe an antiflammatory med or alone. It definitely decreases my pain, so I can sleep.

Another product that I like are Salon Pas they are small stickable dressings that are medicated.They are sold over the counter, like at CVS.
They also help decrease my pain. I find myself covering my whole body with them at night lol.

These are things I use when I don't want to take too many meds.

Hope it helps

Sagey

I take tramadol.but I also have gabbipintin ,it really really helps with the nerve pain.
It really makes such a difference.

I see you are from Antwerp. I am Dutch but live in another country - where marijuana is very much illegal. I don't even have the courage even go out and try some, because people end up in jail for smoking a single joint here! Medical marijuana is one of the reasons why I am seriously thinking of moving back to Holland, since it seems like the only thing that helps. And tramadol.

I only use 100mg slow release tablets a day but I know I am semi-addicted to it. In the mornings, right before I take my dose I get the cold sweats, the fidgety feeling and once I have taken my tramadol I just have to wait an hour for it all to pass. It really helps a lot with nerve pain, but the addiction factor makes it such a difficult drug. It is a love and hate relationship :) I also take tramadol with some paracetamol - that seems to help it work better as well.

Another thing you can give a try is CBD oil. I got some over-the-counter in Holland and after using small doses (max 5 drops) for 2 weeks, I was about to give up because it did nothing. Then I accidentally used about 15-18 drops and wow...what a difference. Since I only have a small bottle, I now only use it on very bad days. I tried it this week again, for example, and once again, I really noticed a difference in my nerve pain.

You should speak to your GP about meds for nerve pain - there is a long list of options and you might easily find one that works perfect for you.

I have nerve pain and other unpleasant sensations in my feet at night and it wakes me up out of a deep sleep. I now keep a small freezer in my bedroom and put an icepack on the bottom of a foot when the pain wakes me up, it's usually is only one foot at a time. I then can get back to sleep with the icepack on my foot. I have also used it on my hands.
Nothing else has worked and I have tried just about everything. A small icepack turned on the less cool side of the pack is not cold enough to cause freeze issues. I would, however, not recommend this for diabetics or without getting a clearance from your doctor.

Hi Sagey,

Interested in your reply. Can you tell me more about numbing cream? Thank you. :)

I have a lot of neuropathy. My neurologist gave me Gabapentin. I take it at night and in the morning. It really helps me. Good luck.

Karen44 did you get many side affects from gabapentin and how long before it helped your pain. I have burning pain in my whole body everyday.

I did try a very low dose of gabby a while back...maybe not high enough.....what dose do you take?

Hi Diamond,
I started at 300 mg at night. The next morning I was totally out of it. Exhausted and disconnected! Now I take 200 mg a.m. and p.m. So far so good but my pain is not terrible. I know a lot of people take 400 or 500 mg twice a day. Ask your doctor.
Happy Thanksgiving!

I am a male who has lived with Fibromyalgia for 12 years now and recently diagnosed with Chronic Fibromyalgia "CFMS" and these last 7 months has been a living hell because I knew at some point my FMS was going to get worse I didn't think that it would be this soon.

I have recently started having nerve pain in my left arm tingling in my hand and fingers and it goes from my elbow down my arm and to my finger. There is a Fibro Point on the elbow so as you can imagine the pain is intensified even more and the pain is just unbelievable. Drs look at you as though there is something wrong with you and you are making it up...

I am taking painkillers but 4 times a day but they are useless and Drs in GBUK won't prescribe you with Tramadol anymore and I could really do with this but the arrogant pigheaded SOB won't prescribe them to me because they are a narcotic and they think I will get addicted to them which is just a load of BS it's probably more to do with their budget. Drs don't understand the level of pain we are in with FMS. If I was a cancer patient I would have sympathy. But with FMS it is an invisible condition and all we ever get is. You look well today. I just want to grab them and shout at them and say. No I am not alright, and I am not okay today I am in agony 24/7 365 days a year. The only time I am pain free is when I am asleep. I stopped taking Nortriptyline back in March because it was giving me nightmares and I wasn't sleeping correctly and I was restless all the time and wasn't sleeping correctly. As soon as I stopped taking them and after a month I was sleeping like a baby every night and have been ever since.

I know exactly what you mean Haen

I was so fed up with all the doctors I ended up here instead.

I have been living with CFS about a year before my final diagnosed were completed along with all the other craziness of fibro , and all my long lists of my sleep disorders. So bad I developing Sensory dysfunctions between to the point of insanity . My CFS and fibro had become much much worst than before I went to get help from doctors. And after all the drugs under the sun along with their terrible long term side effects plus withdrawing symptoms. I'm now dealing with it all completely with no more help from doctor cause I can no longer effort the stress of seeing them and drugs complication including their attitudes about the drugs it self. Who wouldn't be mad cause it's them that put me on , I've to suffer through all the side effects from all those drugs , but still push through because I believed in them , yet still they trying to accusing me of future drugs abuse?

Although it's very tough to do it all without , but I have to . Eventhough I might be intolerance to CBD products, but luckily I just got my hands on kratom today thanks to all the NY hipsters they're legally selling them everywhere! . I'm still on the trying out stage , but so far I like it cause I only took a small spoon and the effect is quite great so far.

I think it’s only 10% of men who are diagnosed with CFMS so you could say it’s quite rare. I had to adapt to live with my FMS 12 years ago I wasn’t going to let it take over my life. But know it’s changed to CFMS I’ve gone down hill over the last 7 months and I have to adapt all over again. I’m strong minded and have a string willpower. But it’s going to be harder this time around because I’m 12 years older than I was when I was first diagnosed. I’m 39 and I feel like a 75 year old man.

I know Haen, I'm 38 and my body felt like a 74 years old woman. And from what I know , more men have been dianosed with CFMS every year far greater number than before. I believe it's because they getting better at dianosing or recognizing it.

I'm not sure how long exactly I have been living with fibro cause I kept on pushed through it for so long till suddenly my body snapped with too much mental and physical traumas to handle on my own, I was at my last leg before finally went in to get it diagnosed. Stubborn me as I was.

So 7 years since my dianosed and tried fixing ( I've tried everything) . I doubt that I can ever living fully pain free , but with so much new knowledges from here and more research . I just wish to live with a bit more dignity than before. Too tired of walking in and out of doctors' office all disappointed always.

A member here said it's like a eating buffet, you'll never know what it's going to be like next day.

Last edited:
I have also had such severe nerve pain in the right side of my back. It's like those painful spasms of those pressure points we have with fibromyalgia. The last time I had it, my Rhuematologist had me take one of those cortisone packs. It did take it a way, but a few days ago I was visiting, and the dining chair I was sitting on caused some strain for me, and after that I have been in severe pain. I do take gabapentin, and found some tramadol from a few years ago, and took some. It did give me some relief. I also have Lupus, Sjogren's, the Fibromyalgia, and recently this year diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis.

I appreciate any comments or advice you might help.
Thanks,
Susan123

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back