Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
VA
I have not been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I seem to have several of the symptoms. I was diagnosed with Mono 8 years ago and have had several different and conditions since then. I then developed hypothyroidism. The chronic pain started after that. It began in my hips. A rheumatologist treated me at the time for tendonitis and also said he thought I had a condition that effected my muscles and tendons, but he did not diagnos me. He did treat me with injections in my hips and thighs and they worked wonderfully for almost a year. Unfortunantly, he then retired. The pain has now been in my shoulder and neck for approximately a year. I have had physical therapy with no results. Muscle relaxers 3 times a day did not help. I am trying my third Dr in April and I hope to get some relief. Do my symptoms sound like fibromyalgia to anyone else? I am so scared this new Dr. will dismiss my symptoms and not put it all together. It's becoming so hard to work at my job...the lack of sleep and constant pain is making it hard to function. Am I on the right track?

Cindy66,
Hello and welcome to the forum. I would say you are on the right track in regards to finding another doctor and trying to get the answers you need. It is always hard when we have a really good doctor treating us and then as you said he retired and now you need someone new, if not only for a diagnosis, but as someone who can treat your pain as was done before. I can not say if you have fibro, but we can offer lots of information on fibro, as well as, on pain management and alternative treatments, and what your course of action might be in talking to this new doctor.

I am inclosing a link from another part of the forum where another new member ask how to handle a first visit with a new doctor. But please read around the forum to gain new coping skills. And ask questions and join in on the different topic's that interest you. I hope this new doctor is able to pin down what is going on with you and most of all ease your pain. Glad you found us and hope you stick around and learn and make lots of new friends. :)

http://www.fibromyalgiaforums.org/f...a/22787-help-pls-1st-rheumo-appt-what-do.html

Thanks for the kind words and advice. Im nervous but also very hopeful. Gotta have hope!

Hi Cindy! I hope your doctor appointment went well (if you have already seen the new doctor you said you'd be seeing). Please let us know how it goes! You are doing everything right, and you are well on your way to get a diagnosis, let's just hope your new doctor is a good one. If you are not happy with him after the appointment, then you should really go for a second opinion (just like I have been doing).

It's funny how some doctors overlook certain things and others seem to notice everything. Finding a good doctor is really hard, specially one that truly cares to find out what is going on with you... best of luck! Remember a good doctor will always show interest in what you have to say and will often ask you several questions. A good doctor will also ask you to get some lab tests done.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back