Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
IE
State
Cork
Hi to all, looking for some feedback and any at all would be greatly appreciated.

Am a 35 year old male, generally healthy and love sports.

My problems generally began about 14 months ago with very painful back spasms. This was accompanied by muscle twitching all over the body, which would strike me irregularly, could be constant one day and then might go dormant for a few days but never longer than this.

Went to doc of course and was sent for MRI of the back and brain, to check discs and also MS etc. Brain came back clear and back showed only a slight bulge but nothing out of the ordinary.

Doc basically said to take painkillers and do your best. In this time I have developed the most chronic fatigue that can strike at any time and pain throughout my body that has absolutely no rhyme or reason to it, as well as the irregular twitching throughout my whole body. Really dont think its a back issue as have no problem with mobility and yet sometimes I can be sitting down and the pain just radiates.

Used to play a lot of football but have found it too difficult recently, usually am fine when playing but the pain that follows in the resulting days is just not worth it.

I have also been having some spasming in the stomach area, and bowel movements are ridiculous in its inconsistency. Feel like have a constant urge to go and vary from feeling constipated to like diarrhoea and yet it is never quite either? Really not sure if related but wanted to mention.

Anyway have been to Doc several times and recently pain has been unbearable, do a lot of driving and physical work and becomes difficult to the point of wanting
to break down. Pain ranges from dull, sharp, to feeling like carrying something on your shoulders. Pain can be in back, neck, legs, chest but mainly in back. Has referred me to a rheumatologist but also suggested Fybromylagia.

It has been becoming more and more difficult to deal with, can find it extremely difficult to think at times and there is a reluctance to participate in things at times due to fear of flaring up. Feels as if is becoming as mentally draining as physically draining.

Apologies for the essay, just want to see if this sounds like something familiar, thanks for any help!

First off welcome to the forum. Your symptoms sound a lot like fibro and so I will break it down for you in the different body parts. Lets go with what is called brain fog. I just added a video about this problem in the hope and Inspiration section of the forum. You can watch that to see if your symptoms match.

Brain fog, also commonly known as brain fatigue, can be a mild to severe episode of mental confusion that can strike without warning. When this occurs, it is common to experience a lack of focus, poor memory recall and reduced mental acuity.

A back spasm is the involuntary contraction or tensing of the muscles in the lower back. The condition ranges from infrequent and mild discomfort to severe pain that makes it difficult to move. Back spasms can typically be treated effectively without surgery.

Prevent Electrolyte Imbalances. A potassium and/or magnesium deficiency can contribute to muscle spasms.
Stretch and Massage Your Muscles. ...
Stay Hydrated. ...
Use Ice or Heat Packs on Sensitive Muscles. ...
Fix Your Posture. ...
Take a Bath with Epsom Salt.

Exercise (twitching is seen after exercise). Lack of nutrients in the diet (deficiency). ... Twitches not caused by disease or disorders (benign twitches), often affecting the eyelids, calf, or thumb. These twitches are normal and quite common, and are often triggered by stress or anxiety.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) IBS is best understood as a long-term or recurrent disorder of gastrointestinal (GI) functioning. It usually involves the large intestine (colon) and small intestine with disturbances of intestinal/bowel (gut) motor function (motility) and sensation.

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), also referred to as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), is a medical condition characterized by long-term fatigue and other symptoms that limit a person's ability to carry out ordinary daily activities.

There is lots of information on this forum about all these conditions and more importantly how to deal with each symptom and provide your self with home care to manage each symptom. Doctors can offer pain medication and other treatments, but most of us have learned that the greater share of care is left to us. Please continue to ask questions and read through the forum to get a better understanding of this illness and get lots of tips on how to cope with the disease.

Other members will pitch in to give you some good advice as well. Look forward to reading your posts. :)

Welcome jonnybegood.

This is truly the time to take the very best care of yourself. Learning to pace what you do is very important...sadly we have to start to relearn what our bodies can do and even then its can be hit and miss.

1sweed is very knowledgeable and explains things so well....its true a good doctor can help with medications if thats a route you choose plus there are other therapies....like epsom baths....warm showers...hydro therapy and other varieties of exercise if its not too much for you.

It sounds like you have had a high level of fitness so while you may not still be able to play football if its too aggressive now im sure you can do regular walking and other forms of lighter exercise...many on here can do a lot despite fibro once they have found new patterns of activities that suit them.

The one thing is maybe don't expect to pain free...its more a case of pain reduction to a tolerable level.

This is quite hard concept to get your mind around when we have all once been completely normal and pain free....but you do get more used to it in time and a pain clinic can help with support in how to cope and expertise in pain management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back