Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
12/2017
Country
US
State
Massachusetts
So after hurting and aching and moping around for years, my rheumatologist thinks I may have fibromyalgia. And it makes a certain amount of sense -- in my mid 30s I really shouldn't ache all over this much, a poke to basically every trigger point makes me jump out of my skin, and the list of "other" symptoms is basically my personal biography (the jaw troubles, the headaches, the tummy trouble, the anxiety, the marathon running in my sleep, the temperature sensitivity, even the dry eyes). I'd like to pretend that I don't get the fog, but I think that's there, too -- it just manifests primarily as extreme frustration when I can't solve problems at work (I'm a web developer).

But what has me thinking it can't be is that I'm still enjoying my exercise of choice... karate. And not just the forms and going through the motions of the strikes and throws, but some super rough and tumble sparring. I'm still just at an intermediate level, but I spar weekly with the black belts, and I get hit all the time because it's known that I can take it. At the same time, everybody at the dojo knows I'm hurting during certain combinations -- one of the most common exchanges between whoever's running the class and me is "if it hurts, don't do it!" with me shooting back "if we wait for me not to hurt, we're gonna be here a while."

And I can say without argument that I'd rather take a solid kick in the gut than deal with the constant ache and cattle-prod spasms that my body throws at me on bad days.

So is it possible to be able to take a punch without a flinch yet still hurt like mad just from a tap in the wrong spot or a change in the weather? The divergence between the me that can't hardly get up from a kneeling position after tying my belt and the me that can knock my sparring partner crosseyed with a crescent kick to the ear in the same evening is just too much for me to get my head around.

I hear you! I’ve fought with Fibro since 1993ish and I’ve managed to keep active. Since 2007 it’s become much worse, however, I still manage to go to the gym, do HIIT, weight train and ride my motorcycle. Admittedly there would be some gaps where I hit the wall. (I have trouble pacing myself) Around 2015 I went through a pretty hard time but still fought to work out but it was sporadic. Then this spring I started feeling better and gradually increased my stamina by training. I got back to my running and cross training. I ran 3 races this summer and training for a half marathon. Farthest I’ve run is 13k. At least that is my goal. If it doesn’t work out, no worries. At least I’m still moving. What I’ve learned is my physical work outs come at a cost. I can’t seem to do them along with other responsibilities because I poop out. I need to plan more rest and recovery days and I’m constantly trying to learn how to adequately refuel my body. It’s a learning curve. So, the fact you can work out doesn’t mean you don’t have FM. I could go to a HIIT class, out perform others half my age but not be able to get out my car after driving home from the class. It’s very odd, I know. In the last 5 days I’ve run over 40k. My nights are hideous with so much pain but, that pain will be there whether I run or not. Might as well hurt for a good reason. Today I’ve done nothing as the fatigue is great, I have a dodgy belly and feel nauseated. It’s the name of the Fibro game. I consider myself fortunate I can accomplish what I do as so many others with FM can’t. Keep moving and don’t stop. Celebrate you can still do what you love in spite of the FM :)

And yes, the weather is my nemesis too.

Last edited:
So what you're telling me is that Fibro is weird and I shouldn't try to apply logic to it ;)

You betcha, there is no logic to it. Lol :)

I wish l am like you all l am in constent pain 24/7 for the past 2 years it cripples me their are so many days l can't even get up and take my kids to school although l do have sever chronic rhematiod arthiritis and both the fabromaligia and rhematiod play along together . It's been a rough 2 yrs for me and l have just moved interstate so finding a good rheumatologist is really hard l am now on 24/7 pain killers which make me feel sick l just wish l can get up and walk around the block or have a small jog even just sit with my kids will be great

Hi bella you're not alone...walking around my garden would be fantastic achievement for me. Sometimes if i push hard i can just about make it down my front path to retrieve my wheely bin ( trash can i think US folk say) where my kind neighbours bring it back from my front gate and I slowly pull it the remaining 7 yards to outside my back door.

My warm hugs to you and as this looks like your first post..... welcome and looking forward to learning about you and your fibro journey.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back