Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was just approved for social security disability. My question is i am legally married but my husband does not support me and we do not live together, i was originally turned down for ssi when i was living with him, does anyone know if i will qualify now for ssi to supplement my ssd?

You can not get both SSI and SSDI. If your income is low enough you may qualify for other state or federal programs such as food stamps. SSI is for people who do not have enough work credits to get SSDI.

Sadie,

I was recently diagnosed with PLS, applied for SSD and was told I could also get SSI until the SSD kicks in. You CAN get both SSI and SSD
depending on the dollar amount of your disability benefit under SSD.

I just applied online for SSDI. My wife called the local SS office and they told my wife that there is a 5 month waiting period...no matter what. Is that true?

Yes, unfortunately it is true. It is five months(actually 6 till you get a check) from the time of DX, and you have stopped working. For us, my husband was laid off in Dec 2008, not DX til Sept 09,(we didn't go to doctor, no insurance) but the Docs gave him a DX of Jan 09, and so when we applied in Sept, they used the Jan DX date, and we were retroactive to June(5months) and did not have to wait. He was getting unemployment during this time, but that is not considered SGA (substantial gainful employment)

A new member, FormyMom has a wealth of info on this subject,which Joel has been trying (to no avail) to help me get it out to everyone.According to him(he is a doll), the government has a list of diseases that if you have one, you are automatically approved for Medicare,regardless of age,in two weeks if you have SSDI(maybe SSI).ALS is on the list.I asked him if he minded any PM's regarding this life saving info,and he said he'd be glad to help.Go easy on him, this is all new for his mom and him.Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back