Not open for further replies.

Cynder

Diagnosis
02/2013
Country
US
State
Utah
Hello, I'm new. Been in pain for a while now. Noticed neck pain starting about 2006. The last year or two I've been experiencing more and more muscle pain. Yesterday went back to my GP after seeing a neurologist and going to PT. She said she doesn't like to diagnose FMS but she thinks I probably have it. Recommended Cymbalta and flexor for sleep and for a muscle relaxor. I'm hesitant about Cymbalta... dunno why. I guess if it helps, I should try it. I took 1/2 flexor last night, that gave me some weird sleep, and i couldn't shake it until this afternoon. Not sure I'm going to like that one. Won't be able to take it on a work day.

I'm a pretty active person, I do a lot of dog sports, and I really don't want this pain to keep me down. Ugh. So anyway, that's my brief intro.

Re: new to forums and FM

A lot of these medications affect sleep, whether it be not being able to fall asleep, or sleeping too deeply, or vivid dreams, or inability to sleep because of heart rate or similar. One thing I do know, if one medication doesn't work try another, sometimes it takes some experimentation to see what your body will handle without dramatic side effects.

How's today going?

Cynder, Having trouble sleeping when in pain was a real problem for me. My doctor's supplied me with muscle relaxers and it work to a degree but I always felt drugged. So I looked for other ways to improve my rest. I purchased a fiber bed pad, they come as feather bed pads too, depending on your choice. I picked the fiber bed as it was all cotton inside. Anyways the pads make you feel cosy and warm, on a fluffy soft pad, and it improves your ability to get a good nights rest. Another tip is wear socks to bed and keep your feet warm. Also keep your lower legs warm to avoid those middle of the night bad cramps. Don't over do, and remember things are different now, wearing yourself out can bring on more symptoms and more pain. Try using a heating pad or a full-length vibrating pad that feels like it has rollers in it, caused by controls that allow you to pick the area of your body that needs it the most. I have one and it is wonderful. Try soaking in a warm bath with a cup full of epsom salts. It helps with your skin and relaxes those painful muscles. Avoid too much stress, I know that sounds like a joke, because life is full of stress, but if you allow yourself time to sit back and rest, it will make a world of difference in your daily life.

Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling okay today (Monday).. as okay as I get, anymore it seems. Though I'm having PMS now which makes everything worse, including the muscle pain. Usually when PMS is gone, the muscle pain goes to more of a background level, which is good.

I've been thinking about the Cymbalta all weekend, talked to a good friend, and I think I'll give it a try. Though this coming weekend I have a 9ish hour drive each way to a dog show and I don't want to start a new med before I go, so will try it after I get back. Though my March is packed full with stuff, too, going out of town twice in March. Love doing the dog sports and I refuse to let this keep me from it. It's my passion and my joy. I use positive and motivational training methods and just love interacting with the dogs. I've fortunately never had depression, but I've suffered anxiety all my life. Was a super super shy kid, could hardly talk to people. Now I still have a lot of anxiety with people, social anxiety, but since I love the dog stuff I don't let it hold me back. But, I'm much better interacting with dogs than with people. :) I also have general anxiety and work anxiety.. if that's a real thing, which it should be. :?

I was at a dog event yesterday all day. Back was killing me, taking Ibuprofen takes the edge off so that's kinda good. I also have to make sure I eat on a regular basis or I just crash and feel even worse.

I also have some other conditions.. I have Keratoconus in my eyes (my corneas are thin and misshaped), I have Mitral Valve Prolapse in my heart, and Interstitial Cystitis in my bladder. I really wonder if there's something behind all this, autoimmune or connective tissue disorder. I asked my GP and she didn't really respond. I know there's a lot of stuff the medical community doesn't understand yet, maybe all this is part of it.

I would love to avoid stress... but that is hard now. I am so lucky, I'm 45 years old and can potentially retire this August. My husband and I have it all planned out. I have worked for my employer for 25 years and should get a full pension. So this is causes me much stress, even though that may be weird. Also, I'm a programmer at work, and my brain fogs lately have really put a damper on my ability to work, which also stresses me out. And we have started on a brand new software and I am having a really, really hard time grasping the concept. So I'm afraid and anxious every day of work. And I just keep counting down the days until I can retire, then my coworkers won't have to put up with me anymore.

Sorry for the ramble. I haven't even told my parents about this, not sure if I should, or will... they are the type that work through falling down sick, never letting anything stop them. I'm not quite so bad... I take days when I need them. Even though I play hard with my dogs, I also rest hard as well, and try to take it as easy as possible whenever I can.

My husband is very supportive, though. He came with to the doc to help me talk. I get so afraid at the doc. My friend said she's like a deer in the headlights, and that's me exactly. I go to the doc and my whole brain just shuts down. :p

So anyway that's my story so far. If you are interested in watching me and my dogs do our fun stuff, I have a YouTube channel.

Yesterday my dog and I had an awesome obedience run... obedience is super hard to train, and really fun and challenging, especially since I don't use those awful ear pinches or any pain on the dogs. I want him to have fun, and I think he was having fun yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I posted a reply, but I don't see it showing up? Does it need to be moderated maybe?

Yes, when posts have links they need to be moderated. Great video and adorable pooch, he looks thrilled to be participating.

I've taken Ibuprofen but I don't notice it helps much so I've long since not bothered.

You mentioned stress, I've tried to modify my diet to help with stress. Eating more of the following, things with natural Vitamin C, all help with stress levels by reducing cortisol (the stress chemical in your blood):

• Sweet Potatoes (my personal favorite because they're packed full of other healthy nutrients)
  • Almonds and Pistachios
  • Oranges
  • Avacodos (another favorite)
  • Green vegetables

Thanks for your replies. Now I'm feeling like an idiot, that I posted too much. So I apologize... ugh, I'm a dork.

Hi There! I would be leary about Cymbalta too... there are so many side effects and it's supposed to be an anti-depressant, if you're not chemically imbalalnced and have depression I would think it would mess with your brain functions. I have a friend who's hubby was put on it for chronic pain and he basically went crazy for a couple of days till she took him off. Just be very carefull I personally feel that drugs are not the solution (wish I knew what wase) but I am trying extreme diet changes. (Watch the documentary Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, and Forks over Knives) So much can be cured by what you eat (and stop eating) What we consume and our environment are very important.

Hope you feel better!

Hi Denise... I was on Zoloft for about 3 years, and it helped a ton with my anxiety. Though that's really when I started feeling the muscle burning, and I thought maybe it was the Zoloft, so I went off it. Been off for probably 3 years now. It took a while to adjust to being on it... but once I was, I think I was actually okay. But.. I really actually don't like drugs, so I am very wary.

I am already pretty health in my diet, though I can look at see about adjustments I can make. Since I have Interstitial Cystitis, I have to watch what I eat so I don't eat anything that flares my bladder (have to avoid any kind of peppers, clove, and various other things). I'm vegetarian, and have been for over 20 years. I try to eat whole grains and fresh vegetables as much as I can. My coworkers always think I'm weird when I bring in my Quinoa and Couscous lunches.. rice and veggies etc. Though I do like my chocolate.

I'll be reading more about the diet and exercise, see what I can find out. I really really would prefer not to eat meat. If I have to, I'd only eat organic farm raised meats. I realize that eating other animals is part of the food chain, and I don't consider it evil... but I'd rather not do it if I can avoid it.

I'll check out the documentaries you suggest. I love Dr Joel Fuhrman, he wrote Eat to Live and it's one of the books I really love. I don't follow it as close as I should, though.. but perhaps going back to strictly that will help my pain too. I dunno. I'm really tired of the freakin' pain!

Last edited:
Dr Furhman is actually in Fat Sick & Nearly Dead! and he's mentioned in the Engine 2Diet book which is a spin off of Forks over knives.
It's been difficult for me to change my diet so much, but I truly believe (hope) it will contribute to my health in one way or another. If it doesn't cure my fibro or pcos in the very least i hope it prevents heart disease ;)

Good luck!

Cynder, They there I have another tip for you. I have Interstitial cystitis as well and i found a really good book for managing it. It is called: You Don't Have To Live With Cystitis by Larrian Billespie, M.D.
The book reminds us the foods we need to avoid, all our favorites like cheese and chocolate. But gives indepth details about this disorder and it's causes. And says do not use cranberry juice or any acid type juices as they can cause severe flares. For me the cranberry and grapefruit juice is a big no no. There is a big list in the back of the book on foods to avoid and why. It might be helpful to you. Anyways thanks for sharing the video of your dog, looks like he was having a good day.

Ah cool. :) I really like Dr Furhman's ideas. I really think he's on the right track. I don't eat as healthy as I used to... I need to get back on track. Veggies can just get so boring.. :p But, the pain should motivate me more!

Dr Furhman is actually in Fat Sick & Nearly Dead! and he's mentioned in the Engine 2Diet book which is a spin off of Forks over knives.
It's been difficult for me to change my diet so much, but I truly believe (hope) it will contribute to my health in one way or another. If it doesn't cure my fibro or pcos in the very least i hope it prevents heart disease ;)

Good luck!

Cool I'll check out that book, too. Fortunately I can eat cheese and chocolate. :) I have only found a handful of things that flare my IC. I avoid cranberry juice too, though. I'm okay with coffee, too, which may be a bad thing, since that's always on the Top of the List of Things to Avoid with most disease. But I so love my coffee. I just drink decaf, even. :razz:

I'd be interested in the in depth details about IC, interesting. I have used the Foods List on the IC-help.org website too, which is a good list. Sometimes foods surprise me, like I was eating pistachios a few months ago, and got a flare, and didn't even think about them! So no pistachios for me.

Cynder, They there I have another tip for you. I have Interstitial cystitis as well and i found a really good book for managing it. It is called: You Don't Have To Live With Cystitis by Larrian Billespie, M.D.
The book reminds us the foods we need to avoid, all our favorites like cheese and chocolate. But gives indepth details about this disorder and it's causes. And says do not use cranberry juice or any acid type juices as they can cause severe flares. For me the cranberry and grapefruit juice is a big no no. There is a big list in the back of the book on foods to avoid and why. It might be helpful to you. Anyways thanks for sharing the video of your dog, looks like he was having a good day.

Also wanted to mention talk all you want here and don't ever feel your saying too much. That's what is forum is for, a place to let out all the feelings and questions, that are dragging you down. Don't ever feel like a idiot or dork here. Just read some of my other answers or replies, I have had my share of weird stuff and trouble with no one to listen or understand what I was going through, so your not alone anymore. Keep talking and sharing, and it will help us here and improve your well-being as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back