vida_llevares

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
PHL
State
Central Visayas
Hi.

After a person has been diagnosed with fibro, what physical activities should not be engaged in already?

Usually it takes a long time to be diagnosed and by this time if you are like me you have already lost a lot of muscle strength. I have and if I knew then what I know now I would have made exercise a more important issue in my life. I can only suggest what I am able to do. Never overdue it. You pay for it and it sets you back. For me stretches and leisure walking is all I am able to do. Do not lose faith. The body is amazing. We can get those muscles working again. Slow and gentle.

Hello vida,
I would agree with michella2, walking is good exercise.

Light yardwork or gardening which you use tools like a rake and hoe, and a shovel.

Raking is good exercise for your shoulders and arms, and you can stop and sit down every so often. The hoe action is forward light chopping movements that exercises your shoulders in a different direction.

As for gardening I have a small area in front of my house and behind it for vegetable plants. I water them and stoop over and bend at the waist to pull a few weeds or water the garden. I can't bend my knees and get down on the ground because I don't have enough strength in my arms to push myself up., so I bend at the waist and do the best I can.

As far as the shovel is concerned use it sparingly but you can plant flowers or other plants without getting down on the ground.
I sometimes shovel snow off my sidewalk if the snow is light and fluffy. If the snow is wet and heavy my neighbors help me.

Riding a bike is good gentle exercise. Playing with children in the yard or park areas. Walking a dog. Just walking up and down your steps at home can help keep your knees limber. Doing dishes and running the sweeper and sweeping with a broom. Dusting your house or mopping a floor. Carrying in groceries. Going fishing or short hikes in the woods.

I think sometimes we are fooled into thinking that exercise must involve exercise equipment or be done at a fast pace, but truthfully exercise is keeping your body moving in such a way that it moves your muscles in different parts of your body and keeps you limber and strong.

My arms are really weak, so any playtime that involves raising my arms up is a no no for me. The pain is bad and they feel super heavy and weak if I even try to hang curtains. It is important not to over do, just do things slow and easy.

I hope this helps some. I am sure other folks here have good ideas as well. Hope you had a good day. :)

This is all good information to pass along to someone I know. In fact I think I will send them to this website. A family member of my family has recently been diagnosed.
I didn't realize it had so many complications. As I read here at this forum I am finding so many things that I was unaware of and I am srue the general population is as well. I am here to learn and understand all that I can.

Thanks for posting, and I shall pass this info along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back