Status
Not open for further replies.

Diagnosis
02/2013
Country
US
State
NV
I was diagnosed last week and I am new to this site. I have been struggling for months and undergoing test after test after test....

I started new meds that I hope will help. However, this is effecting my work I and I am considering a leave of absence. Has anyone else been in this situation?

:(

I would appreciate any descriptions of what others are feeling to have something to relate to.
I have piercing pains in my back, muscle weakness in my leg and arm (only on my right side), experience occasional chills/fever like pain at night, I get NO sleep and fibro fog is kicking in.

I currently take:
Neurontin (gabapentin) is another antiseizure medication that has also been shown to improve fibromyalgia symptoms.
Percocet
soma
sleeping aides

They also found scoliosis.

Re: Work is effected by fybo

702702, Just being diagnosed is still a shock to your system, and this also affects your work. Please do not take a leave of absence, with too much time on your hands depression kicks in with full force, you need to stay busy to keep your thoughts from wandering and sticking on your fibro. Rather discuss the situation with your boss and come to a compromise, like shorter work hours etc. Some bosses tend to be accommodating regarding this.

Take your time to come to grips with what is going on. Making rash and hurried decisions will only hurt you in the future.

I am also newly diagnosed as of last month... though I've been feeling the FMS grow since about 2006. It really sucks. But darnit, I'm going to keep going as long as I can, try everything I can... and hopefully something will work. :p

702702, Just being diagnosed is still a shock to your system, and this also affects your work. Please do not take a leave of absence, with too much time on your hands depression kicks in with full force, you need to stay busy to keep your thoughts from wandering and sticking on your fibro. Rather discuss the situation with your boss and come to a compromise, like shorter work hours etc. Some bosses tend to be accommodating regarding this.

Take your time to come to grips with what is going on. Making rash and hurried decisions will only hurt you in the future.

Thank you. I am a teacher/program leader which is very demanding. There is another position available that I would enjoy. I also have a 2 year old and I am feeling extremely guilty for loosing so much quality time with. however, you are probably right. Opening the line of communication with principal and haging in there is prob best.

Hi there,
I was diagnosed around 2 years ago but I've suffered from the pain for years now. I've had many days where I was physically in too much pain to work. It's made holding down steady work difficult. I mostly have burning pain and deep aching in my mid to upper back and into my neck. It often triggers migraines which come on unexpectedly sometimes. I'm in school full time now and it has made keeping up with the work difficult lately. The pain and fibro fog kicks in and all I can do is sleep. I have a part time job tutoring on campus and have missed several shifts because of it. I have noticed though that the professors and my bosses that I have been up front with about my condition from the beginning are really good at working with me. If they know you are suffering from a medical condition and absenteeism is not due to laziness then they are much more understanding. I know pushing through it and keeping busy is healthy but it's very hard some days physically. I wish you luck!

Take care
Ruby

702702, I am really glad that you made the decisions to discuss this with your principle. This is a wise thing to do. Not only would he crush any accusations from your fellow teachers, but you will have another person to support you. Some of my things I found that helps with my children (22 months and 3 years) are:

1. If I need to lay down, I take them and a storybook to bed with me, while I get to rest, they get attention by my reading them a story.
2. When I cook, I cook in bulk and freeze kiddie sized portions, for the days I am just not up to cooking lunch.
3. Let them take a bath with you, this way you spend time with them and get some pain relief at the same time.
4. I am not a big TV and kids fan, but some of the children,s DVD's have been my rescue on numerous occasions. I lie on the couch, and make it an interactive session by asking questions while they watch the stories.
5. Incorporate him in your exercise routine. I found that playing ball with my children made me felt much better than a solitary session in the gym, and they again get the time and attention they need.
6. Inform their care giver of your situation, you will find their willingness to accommodate and help you quite amazing. The principle of my children's school, keeps them there the whole day, and brings them home on the days I have my migraines. That way i get to sleep it off and I know they are safe. She does not even charge me extra for this help.

I hope this helps you a little.

There's so much that's going to change but I don't think you should quit working until you must. Instead, try to learn new coping mechanisms to make your life easier and get as much rest as possible. Give yourself some time to adjust to the Dx and what it's going to mean to you.

You have been given very good advice from all the above replies. Does your school have volunteers or teacher assistants, that could help give you a bit of a break during the day. I know our local schools have helpers in each classroom to assist the main teacher.

Deciding what to do about work is hard. Your job is much more demanding then mine was. I did housecleaning and set up my own business.

I did well for 10 years, then as fibro got worse I had to drop jobs one after another until the last one ended. I hung in as long as I was able so that my disability payments would be enough to help me pay my expenses.

But please read around the forum and you will pick up lots of tips on dealing with fibro pain. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

See if the principle can get you a assistant to help and try to relax as often as you can.

I will try to offer suggestions when you post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back