rollinloud

Distinguished member
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
What support techniques do you employ if you have a family member with fibromyalgia? Or if you do have it yourself, what are some support techniques that you can recommend? My brother has fibromyalgia and I try to do my best to be there to help but I know I can do more. I'd like to hear from some of you. Thank you in advance.

Well, to be honest the only thing that has worked for me so far (to handle the pain) is medical marijuana. I don't want to take a lot meds, I'm already taking meds for other health issues, so I don't want to add pain meds to that list. I take vitamin B complex to help me to sleep and be more calm during the day. Having fibro is not easy, but that doesn't mean this is the end of the world :) Just let your brother experiment, I'm sure he'll find something that works for him, you can find a lot info on the forums as well.

Just ensure that he is comfortable all the time. You need to adjust a part of your lifestyle to suit his. For example, you probably need to be more considerate when he's in pain and avoid being too noisy in the house. Or if he wants to sleep more, then just let him have that rest.

I would say the biggest and best thing you can do for your brother is to be supportive and listen when he needs someone to talk to and help provide any assistance he might require. Also invite him to come to the forum. There are guys that come here to learn coping skills and maybe he will find a fibro friend. :)

I think it is really helpful to have someone to talk to. Sometimes it feels like you are really alone. Your friends and family get sick of listening to all of your various complaints that change from day to day. I don't think people can really understand what the pain feels like unless you have it! I think it would help for someone to help find a way that we could spend time together that isn't always something physical. I was very active and my friends are bicyclists, hikers, skiers etc. I feel like I don't have any friends left cause I can't go with them anymore, ya know what I mean? You are a good brother for taking the time and effort to try and find a way to help! It really is a change of lifestyle and you have to learn a whole new way to live and it takes a long time-it does for me anyway! Lots of grieving so just continue to be there for him and let him know you love him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back