Not open for further replies.

Trfielder

Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
CA
State
ON
Just wondering if fibro is progressive? Or do you just sort of maintain?

From my experience, it presents itself in different ways from day to day. Since being diagnosed, I've been able to find ways to manage the pain and it only fluctuates due to stress or increased activity. If I take on too much work and neglect doing basic stretching, then the body becomes tight, sore, and gets progressively worse before it gets better.

Obviously, I don't speak for everyone, so I'd be intrigued to hear the impacts on others.

The Rhuemy that diagnosed me said it isn't. However, my symptoms have seemed to increase in intensity over the years. I also have more different symptoms than when I was originally diagnosed. Now, is the disease itself progressive, is it just me getting older, or am I just tired fighting it. Not sure. I think it's different for each of us.

New question...I'm under extreme stress right noe my puppy has parvo we had her at one vet who eas closed for the long weekend so had to take her to another vet..we went to see her this morning and she was covered in feces and urine...I had a complete fit. They had completely different stories..no matter what inexcusable ..so I freaked out had to leave the office and had a meltdown in parking lot...muscle tremors crying shaking and couldn't stand up.the tremors lasted about half an hour45 mins still very shaky to walk needing assistance (2 hrs later) and the pain level is at about a 9 through my arms and hips running down my legs? I brought my pup home. Any ideas?

I think it is still a little soon for the medical community to decide fibro's "normal" behavior, and we probably won't know if the disorder advances until after they figure out how to manage it with less than 4 medications.

I say this because being able to control fibromyalgia's intensity will reveal the disorder's likely source, which will then indicate the path it might take.

Personally, I believe that it progresses. Poorly managed pain and fatigue wears on the body and mind. Constant pain changes the way the brain functions, which affects everything else in the body.

I'm really not sure, but I've heard of people whose pain got worse after a while, to the point they need really strong medications in order to stand the pain. I'm talking about strong medications, such as morphine (the same med my granma was given when she was agonizing in her bed with liver cancer). So this topic is debatable. I've been suffering from this since I was my teen... I have notices some progression, but I assumed this could be linked to my other health issues, as well as my age.

I thought jcairns82 said it well. Everyone will react differently to the triggers. As with stress, what you think is extreme, to another may seem minor. And your body will handle it differently. (5 people in the same accident will all have different outcomes. you know what im getting at.) What i have learned is to recognize my limits. Understand when i am in a situation i can't avoid, i am most likely going to feel like s**t for the following week after. Learn how to politely say no, i can't today, but please don't forget about me next time. Or asking for assistance with that 25lb bag of dog food at the store.
Accepting that you have a condition that is not understood well in the general public and that there is no "cure", is a feat in itself. Getting out of bed to deal with it is another.

I don't know that it's progressive per se, but I think the symptoms constantly evolve, if that makes sense. My Rhuemy told me that I would probably get better, but that something else would eventually crop up. She meant that for both my fibro and my autoimmune disease. I have to admit that she's been right. Some symptoms left, some never left, and different ones came into play. We don't know exactly what fibro entails, so it's so hard to understand the mechanisms of it.

I would agree with most of the replies. I don't know if it is progressive, having fibro. is a challenge from one day to the next never really knowing what a new day may bring us. But one thing I do know is stress seems to trigger a lot of my symptoms, so I make relaxation part of my daily treatment. Good luck!

I've had fibromyalgia now for about 12 years. In my experience I go through times when I seem to be in remission and it doesn't bother me for a month or more. Sweet relief! Other times it seems to be in constant flair up where I go months without a single good day. Other times it seems more balanced where I have a mix of good and bad days. I think it has many factors involved and many things can cause it to flair: diet, stress, lack of exercise etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back