Not open for further replies.

Trfielder

Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
CA
State
ON
Not sure if this is the right spot for tis post...
My Dr who has been my Dr since I was 6 weeks old, is refusing to fill out disability papers for me until I have a sleep study done. I was in to see him on sept 24 I have been waiting for a call as to when the appt is..I called my drs office to find out what was going on..they had me call the sleep study office myself to ask. The sleep study place never got a referral . So I called my drs office back and they will send it today.
How do I get my dr to work with me with my fibro?
I honestly think he doesn't believe in it.
This has been going on for over 2 years of me going to him with the same issues.
He also told me that if I take the right prescription that my fibro will go away I just need to stay on the meds longer...
HELP!

Hello, I think you need to find a new doctor. Do you live in a small town? I just wondered, since you said you've been seeing him since you were a baby. Fibro doesn't go away! I feel like this doctor knows nothing about this illness. I think you need to look for someone else. Is that possible, given your circumstances? Maybe a rheumatologist, although my GP treats my fibro. You just need to find someone who believes in it and knows something about it.

Good luck!

Hello, I think you need to find a new doctor. Do you live in a small town? I just wondered, since you said you've been seeing him since you were a baby. Fibro doesn't go away! I feel like this doctor knows nothing about this illness. I think you need to look for someone else. Is that possible, given your circumstances? Maybe a rheumatologist, although my GP treats my fibro. You just need to find someone who believes in it and knows something about it.

Good luck!

I agree. I think you need to find another doctor. Not that it's an issue for you to have a sleep study, but I guess he doesn't understand what is thought to cause fibro. I also don't think he gets that sleep disorders are very common with fibro sufferers, and that it doesn't mean you don't have fibro if you have a sleep disorder. By the way, there is no cure.

I would do as was suggested. Get a second opinion. Ask to see a rheumatologist. Even a GP who is more understanding.

I saw a rhumetoligist he was the one that diagnosed me with fibro. My dr had to be reminded 3times that I had fibro! He asked why I was taking cymbalta when I went in for a refil prescription... I'm going to start looking for another dr but there are not many around taking new patients and some will refuse because I'm long term illness. How do I find one that specializes in fibro.? Is there even a way? I'm in Ontario Canada. About 1.5 hours north of Toronto.

It really sounds like you NEED to find a new doctor, he obviously isn't doing his job right if you had to remind him 3 times you have fibro. A rheumatologist is the way to go, I think. I personally lost my faith in mine a while ago, but if things get really ugly... I know I'll have to go back to mine. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I don't live in Canada and I really have no knowledge on how the health care system works over there.

Trfielder,
Hold on a second before you get rid of your doctor. It might be a good idea to have that sleep study. I am not saying that you don't have fibro, but also I think your doctor wants to rule out another condition that can cause some similar symptoms that fibro has. Sleep apnea, can make you feel fatigued and have low energy and muscle pains, all from stopping breathing during the course of sleep. If you have it then wearing a special breathing mask and have an tank near your bed improves your sleep patterns and might make you feel better after a good nights sleep.

If you don't have it then there are many different treatments that can improve your life. Maybe since he has been your doctor for so long he is trying to be overly kind and stretch things a bit. I would say have the sleep study done and then decide if you want a second opinion. But try not to make your doctor mad or he might fill out your forms with comments that could damage your disability claim.

My brother had the sleep study done and he did have sleep apnea, but now he is sleeping throughout the night and wakes up feeling much better. Let us know how things go with the test and your doctor. Try to have patience as the wheels of doctoring move very slowly. :)

Not sure if this is the right spot for tis post...
My Dr who has been my Dr since I was 6 weeks old, is refusing to fill out disability papers for me until I have a sleep study done. I was in to see him on sept 24 I have been waiting for a call as to when the appt is..I called my drs office to find out what was going on..they had me call the sleep study office myself to ask. The sleep study place never got a referral . So I called my drs office back and they will send it today.
How do I get my dr to work with me with my fibro?
I honestly think he doesn't believe in it.
This has been going on for over 2 years of me going to him with the same issues.
He also told me that if I take the right prescription that my fibro will go away I just need to stay on the meds longer...
HELP!

Try to find a Rheumatologist. They are usually the best when it comes to dealing with fibro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back