Not open for further replies.

CarryOn

Diagnosis
11/2013
Country
US
State
CA
Hello all. I'm wondering if anyone here is, or was, a classroom teacher. Have you been able to continue teaching with your FM? What has helped you succeed? Or, if not, why is that? What are you doing now?

Yikes, no one? I'm admittedly quite concerned I will never be able to go back to the classroom. Fibro does not fit with the rigid schedule of teaching and its physical, emotional, and mental demands. It's not like I can have flexible work hours or take a nap in the middle of the day, or leave early and come back later. I must be in my classroom 7:50am-2:35pm, and am on my feet virtually that entire time except 15 minutes for brunch and 30 minutes for lunch. The demands just of classroom management are exhausting, though necessary; I love my middle schoolers, but they do require constant monitoring and correction. The grading, lesson planning, parent contacts, meetings, district demands, etc. are exceeding exhausting as well. Then I come home to my own two young sons and have to make sure their homework is done, get the dinner started, etc; on teaching days, I'm often not able to stop at all until the boys are in bed around 8pm.

I miss being in the classroom--especially the last few days, I've missed actually *teaching.* But I know that, at least for now, I *can't* teach. :( I'm looking for input, experience, advice for anyone who's a teacher or at least has had a full time job with fibro and can give me feedback on what to realistically expect.

Hi There.

I'm a teacher and work at a boarding school. So on top of feeling your pain, I really feel it :). I was diagnosed just about 3 years ago with FMS. Even now, they are not certain that my diagnosis is correct, but we're going with it.
I began teaching at 22 and have loved every minute of it (that was 8 years ago). On top of being in the classroom, I'm on duty in my dorm 1 night a week 7pm-12am, take 1 weekend (Sat night and Sunday day) a month, coach in the spring, and serve as the Director of Community Service. I'm 7 months into my marriage and so on top of all this fun stuff, I have a wonderful husband! But there is hope!
There are certainly days when I feel like I can't do it. But the good news is that it gets better. You have to know your body, your limits and what you are able to do. Find things that help. For me, it is massage and yoga. I incorporate yoga into my day regularly. I can't tell you it is easy- because it isn't. I wake up a number of days and feel like I can't get in and that I will have to call in. But I know myself, I know if it is worth calling in sick or not. And I have been in school since the first week of September haven't called in once this year. That isn't to say there haven't been days where I am wiped out, tired, grumpy and in pain- but I'm coping.
I've stopped feeling sorry for myself and instead figuring out what I need to do to live my life. A hot shower in the morning gets me going usually. Also, I started seeing a therapist. Mentally, when I was first diagnosed I was not in a good place. I was using FMS as an excuse. "I can't exercise, it hurts". "I can't go out with my friends, I hurt". The therapist really helped me realize that I was holding myself back and no one else was.
It is a long road, but I promise there is hope! :)

Hey there! I'm a retired 2nd grade teacher. I taught during the pain of fibro, without a diagnosis for many years. It seemed to get worse with each year, but I attributed the pain to "stress, sitting at reading circle, etc." So during the summer I retired, I finally went to a rheumatologist, who diagnosed me with fibro.

I don't see how I was able to continue teaching, and I know I absolutely couldn't do it now, as my fibro seems to have gotten worse. As you've stated, teaching is such a demanding and stressful job! And we all know stress makes things much worse. So I truly admire those who are able to continue doing it, but for me, it got to be way too much. I was fortunate that I was at retirement age.

I have been a teacher and I just wanna say that it's very hard and demanding without suffering from anything. It really drains you although you have your satisfactions and accomplishments. I remember getting home with an awful back pain because of the walking around the classroom all the time. I still have back pains, but not like those. So I don't see how teaching would work with this condition :(

Amalia,
I feel your pain! I am a elementary Ed teacher and work mainly with kinder kids! I miss them all the time, watching them grow, learn and just the fun of teaching them everyday! I will not be going back to teaching fulltime, but I do coach my HS cheerleaders, in fact I am the head coach for the district and I am struggling with the demands of this position. I pray everyday that I can hang in there 2 more years, at least that way my bff's daughter will graduate and I can retire! I have been coaching this young lady since she was 5 years old, I don't want to miss her last 2 years! I hope that maybe you can find something that will help fill the void! Prayers and gentle hugs, Jackie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back