jg3591

Diagnosis
01/1994
Country
US
State
NJ
Hi,
I have had fibro for a long time. My Rheumologist put me on a lot of meds and they do help but they have side effects. I have bad dry mouth and I take tablets of Xylemelts to help. I put 3 under my tongue before I go to sleep. It helps because I feel like I can't swallow since my mouth is so dry then I panic. Now I have a feeling my tongue is on fire like after eating hot pizza and the cheese burns your mouth. I don't know why that happens. Anyone out there dealing with the same issue? I'm scared because the tablets are the only thing that works. I think the mint flavor might be causing the problem but I can't go without them.

I've never had the dry mouth as severely as you describe. For several years I took a med that made my mouth dry. Chewing gum helped, and I sipped water very frequently. Does something like Biotene mouthwash help?

As for the burning, I'd definitely let your doc know about it, or at least ask your pharmacist. That doesn't sound fun at all to deal with.

You might try drinking more cool water and also check with your dentist about the burning mouth and ask him if using a numbing syrup at night would help. You know the kind they give you for sore throats. It kind of numbs the pain and makes it easier to swallow and get a restful sleep.
I used to get this during the begining of a flare. It would start in the roof of my mouth and then settle in my gums. I used the numbing syrup or even throat lozongers, to dull the pain for a short amount of time. It really helps.

But checking with your dentist is the first step to ruling out any dental problem that could cause the problem then move on to the dealing with the problem. Chewing gum or sucking on sugar-free candy drops might help as well. It could be the pills are making the dry mouth worse in the long run.

Let us know how your doing. :)

I've had severe dry mouth with my illness also! In fact after I was put on a combo of meds within 6 months my perfect teeth were trashed. I had to have all my teeth pulled & ended up with dentures! It's not a joke! If u can make sure after ANY food or liquid other than water brush your teeth. I had no clue it was becoming that bad & I didn't know I had any cavities until a tooth broke off. It's been a brutal long process but now all is awesome. I love my new teeth. I still suffer from burning mouth syndrome but am getting used to it. Just make sure you don't take the dry mouth lightly! It's can turn ugly fast! If you want more info I'll be glad to explain it. Just let me know! (Not trying to scare you at all! My situation may be way different. It was caused by a mix of my pain meds & ADHD meds on top of the fibro & RA!)

Have you tried using one of those analgesic sprays that are specially made to treat pain in your mouth? I have one of those and they make wonders. You should ask your dentist about it, I'm sure he will be able to help you and prescribe you one. There are many good brands, and some can numb you better than others :)

I too have dry mouth to the point of my teeth breaking off while sleeping, had all my teeth pulled and dentures made, come to find out I have sjogrens I had dry eyes and rheumy deceided to have me tested so ya make sure to talk to rhemuy about this.

I know what you mean about the teeth. I have extreme and my teeth have gone bad fast. I always had nice teeth and this is so upsetting. I chew gum to help but it starts hurting your jaw after awhile so I would keep some water always close to you,

I am having issues here and there that leave me in constant pain.

Today I woke up at 11 and didn't know when it was, Morning or evening. I usually nap around 3 pm till 6 just to break up the day. Then I'm up till ll or 12. My back pain is always the cause my pain. I fell on a sea wall into the jetty years ago and made the fibro much worse. Then this guy hit my car and all the progress I had had with charopricat treatment.
They claimed it was his caused but they said my herniated discs were there before the accident. I did not expect them to question the cause of the injury but they decided was not from the car accident but it defended it was not so.:?::pm.

Hello,
No i don't experience this kind of issue but i think you have saliva lacking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back