Not open for further replies.

MissFibro

Diagnosis
01/2012
Country
US
State
CA
So, I know this has been asked (dealt with) some many times on these forums... But the addiction to these pain meds (opiods) are driving me crazy! I can't get help through my insurance bc it's too expensive, I can't afford a detox facility, and I can't stop taking them. I just want to be ME again! The funny girl who loved her high heels, the girl who went out dancing every weekend, the girl who smiled.

Depressed and in major pain. This is my cry for help!

MissFibro, I'm so sorry to hear you are going thru this. I'm afraid I can't offer a lot advice regarding to addiction to opioids since I never took them for too long. I actually avoid taking meds as much as possible... unless we are speaking about a serious infection that requires some antibiotics. I have some experience with addiction to sleeping meds (my mom used to take clonazepam). She started taking smaller doses, it tooks her a full year to stop taking clonazepam.

If you try to go off your pain meds I'm sure you will have to do something similar. You should ask your doctor about it, because when my mom started to do this her doctor gave her another similar medication that is often used along with the smaller doses of clonazepam to help with the detox. I'm thinking there might be a similar option for people who are addicted to pain meds. You just need to ask your doctor. Also bear in mind breaking an addiction like this could take you a while! You should never go cold turkey with meds you've been taking for so long.

Hello MissFibro,
I feel sad for you that way are suffering from pain. Tell me what kind of pain meds you have take all times and the frequency of it.

:( I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this, MissFibro. I agree with what Trellum said, and that if a time comes that you do want to stop the medication, or even lessen the amount, there are ways that it needs to be done instead of just stopping cold.

I hope so much that the girl in heels will be able to find ways to do her dancing even if not every weekend. As the song says, I hope you dance.

I hope you smile again, too.

Oh, you poor thing. :( I want to stop too and am so worried about the detox process. I agree about talking with your PM doctor. I'm sure they go through this all the time. Stay strong and let us know what you find out!

So, I know this has been asked (dealt with) some many times on these forums... But the addiction to these pain meds (opiods) are driving me crazy! I can't get help through my insurance bc it's too expensive, I can't afford a detox facility, and I can't stop taking them. I just want to be ME again! The funny girl who loved her high heels, the girl who went out dancing every weekend, the girl who smiled.

Depressed and in major pain. This is my cry for help!
Talk to your dr. first but if you use a gradual weaning process one med at a time then you can do it. The trick is a gradual approach over a period of time. Sounds redundant but this is how I broke my addiction to the pills. Now please do not make yourself suffer for no reason as everyone copes with pain differently and my way of coping is not for everyone. Good luck, hope this helps.

This is one that really is hard to deal with, we've been there time and again with my husband. He has talked to his doctor about weaning so that the physical addiction does break, but that really doesn't help all that much.

Now I do have to say that because of some other things that have been happening in our lives, my husband has decided that he isn't going to take his anymore because it is going to help those other things get better. I will update in a couple weeks to let you know how that is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back