Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2001
Country
US
State
Iowa
Hi everyone! I'm so sick of this cold weather because this winter has caused me more flares than I've probably had since I've been diagnosed. I've missed a lot of work this past winter. Last week when I was working I started noticing that it was getting hard for me to get up and down from a sitting position to standing. My knees were hurting terribly. I finally was able to get in Monday to my rheumatologist who said it was fibro and arthritis (I knew I had arthritis in one knee) and gave me cortisone shot in each knee. It's helped some but I still missed this whole week of work. It's just so frustrating. Anyone else have this problem?

Hi Diana, I have knee pain also. Mine is usually not that bad that I need cortisone shots, but it's especially hard in the winter time. I haven't found anything that helps, except for applying heat, massaging, doing yoga.. eating chocolate : } I hope you feel better in the coming days. Take care

Tigressa,

Thanks for your post. I have tried heat and ice before I got the shots but that hadn't helped. I'm doing a lot better know but my left one is still painful. Yes, eating chocolate really does help! haha

Hi Diana, my right knee and left wrist are both giving me issues right now... so I know how you feel. This kind of pain is so annoying and incapacitating... I guess I got to play the hand that was dealt to me, like it or not, hehehe! Hang in there! I know is hard, but seriously... what else can we do? We better try to stay positive, because being worried and stressed about this make it worse, I learnt this the hard way, believe me. I know is hard, but with some practice you can achieve it as well.

Hey Dana, knee pain, yep, have it all the time. Sorry if I sound sarcastic I am having a pain surge. I ice every evening and hope it helps with the discomfort. My challenge is avoiding knee replacement. In the last three years I have had to have both knees operated on and had a large portion of my meniscus removed in both knees. With fibro, I am finding out you heal so much slower, anyway, I have and the pain and discomfort is magnified by ten fold. I am wearing a compression brace on my left knee and will also in time on the right. The braces really do seem to help. I to have had the shots with no luck. When I am able to work outside or in the garage, I wear knee pads all the time. Hope life is better for you in time.

Knee pains are among the worst kind of experiences someone can have. Good luck with them and remember to take some meds from time to time.

Hi Diane...I suffer with knee pain too...it drives me up the wall at times and it was only when it was discovered I had mild arthritis in my knees and the pain I was getting didn't match my level of wear and tear that the fibro diagnoses was made - but I think I've had Fibro for many years before this! Anyway, I just wanted to share my tips...I have a TENS machine and when I am in pain I put that on and it works, somehow...so maybe consider getting on of these...I was able to borrow one on the NHS (I am in the UK), so could test it out before I bought one myself, not sure if where you are you could do the same, but might be worth a try...I also have a knee brace which was especially made for my by the physio department at the hospital...its a bit of a beast, but I find when using it the pain is reduced and it doesn't give way as much as when I don't wear it. There is an article on one of the arthritis sites that say knee bracing is beneficial...it can be found here...

Hope you find it helpful.

Good luck to you and if you find something that helps, please share

C xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the TENS machine and what does it do? My knee pain has gotten so bad!

My knee pain is terrible. I wear braces that I bought from the store while picking up a Rx. My legs, knees, ankles, and back are the worst. Braces help a lot. I'm 29 and a former athlete. Now I can hardly walk about the house; and can't stand up for more than 5 mins at a time. If I'm walking, I can be standing for about 15 mins before I need to sit down. My legs, well, --my body, doesn't support me well at all anymore.

StefanniB, my dad also experiences this. He used to be a soccer player (among the best in the country :D) and know he has back and knee problems.

TENS machine
A TENS machine is a small portable, battery-operated device which is worn on the body. The box is attached by wires to sticky pads stuck to the skin. Small electrical pulses are transmitted to the body, like little electric shocks. This can help to ease pain in some people with certain types of pain :)

Are those expensive? It sounds quite interesting! I ask because lately I've been in a lot more pain than usual, I'm so willing to try anything (but medications for pain, of course). This machine sounds like a good option. Where can this kind of machines be found?

I cannot find any of those in my country.

TENS machines vary in cost...try eBay or your local chemist...Lloyds have a good one...I was able to borrow one from my pain management clinic and as it worked well for me I did pay a little extra and got the same one...The only thing I would say about buying one is look at the pads that are used...personally I have found the smaller they are the less benefit I get...also pads are an out-going expense, so take that into account too...having a TENS machine you can't afford to run is not going to help.

Knee Braces - buying from a shop is great, but I got mine made to my exact measurements and it is so much more supportive than the shop ones...I got this on the NHS, I did have to ask for one, but once I got the ball rolling it didn't take long to sort out.

Hope that helps,

C x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back