What good has Fibromyalgia brought to your life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stardisgate

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
AR
We always focus on the negative, but what about the good? I have learned what it is like for people to be upset or misunderstand what is wrong with me. But good things have come from it as well. The biggest thing that I can think of is that when my daughter complains about being sick, I actually take the time to listen to her. I live by the rule that I would rather her be home if she is complaining constantly, than have the school call and me have to go get her. She doesn't stay home a lot, but I guess that I feel this is good for me to build that type of relationship with her. I remember what it was like for people to overlook my pain.

Great topic!

If I hadn't gone to my doctor to be treated for fibro, I wouldn't have learned that I have digestive failure and other organ damage. I've learned a great deal about how to take my life back in my control, and it's not just from fibro. It may never have gone into a doctor for the other issues, because I guess I didn't really understand that I was struggling and in abnormal pain before.

Otherwise... well, my health is the reason I quit my job. So I guess I'm able to spend more quality time with myself. Sometimes that's a good thing, as when I'm feeling well enough I can satisfy my creative cravings or indulge in video games more often. I hardly spent time on myself before since I was working.

Sorry, But for me there has been nothing good about having fibromyalgia. It is taking alot from my life and I hate this illness. Im glad you can see something good about it.

I've discovered that I walk not at the pace of an "old lady," but at the pace of my year old granddaughter. Slowing down to see the world through fresh eyes.

Very good post.
Honestly there has been alot of good it has done for me.
1. I take no day for granted. Im just happy I wake up in the morning.
2. Im thankful when Im able to do some kind of activity. I know some days I cant, so when I can, I thank God for the ability to do something.
3. When I will be able to work again, I will never complain about having to work. Wanting to work and not being able to is worse.
4. I pay attention to people when they need help.
5. I forgave my Father for what he did in his life, may he rest in peace.
There are so many other things Im thankful for but these are the major ones.

Wow, snckrs, this disease has also taught me not to take life or a single day for granted! We are on the same page, it seems :) I no longer take life for granted and try to live one day at the time, because I think that making plans for the future isn't a good idea anyway (I did that a lot in the past and most of the time when things didn't turn our the way I expected I'd feel like a failure). Now my life is more relaxed, I'm trying not to worry too much about life and my illness in general, but that doesn't mean I don't go to the doctor when I notice an odd pain!

We always focus on the negative, but what about the good? I have learned what it is like for people to be upset or misunderstand what is wrong with me. But good things have come from it as well. The biggest thing that I can think of is that when my daughter complains about being sick, I actually take the time to listen to her. I live by the rule that I would rather her be home if she is complaining constantly, than have the school call and me have to go get her. She doesn't stay home a lot, but I guess that I feel this is good for me to build that type of relationship with her. I remember what it was like for people to overlook my pain.

Awesome post :) Thanks for creating it! I think we oten overlook the positive sides of everything, not like fibro has a lot positive things, but if we can find the positives then for sure we will have an easier time trying to cope with this :)

As for me... well, I like the fact that now I no longer make a lot plans for the future. It's not as grim as it sounds tho. Because that means I'm focusing on living one day at the time and not stressing myself a lot thinking about the future. I just take care of the things that are disturbing me now (like my sinus issue right now) and other small things.

I also like the fact I now understand people who are in pain better. I no longer overlook that.

Wow. Seeing all your responses brought tears to my eyes. It is great to see others trying to find good in things. I think sometimes we have such a hard time, it is hard to see the good. Good to hear from everyone and get their thoughts and opinions.

I am super excited to respond to this topic. Too often we catch ourselves down and out because of all the bad things we are constantly encountering due to this disease. My doctor forced me to start counseling by refusing to give me my pain meds unless I attended and participated. Well, I am so grateful that he did because I have learned to view things from a positive perspective. So, I would have to say the most positive thing, for me, would have to be my work from home jobas a customer service representative. It's the perfect job because it allows me to be sitting in an orthopedic computer chair and I can schedule all my appointments easily. I feel like a productive member of society and not the alternative. It was like omce I started trying to be positive with my "forced" therapy all kinds of great things started happening like getting my job.

Sometimes it takes some effort to see the good that the fibro has done for us. But for each of us it has done some good. Some form of good. Its hard to see it for some people. I know, because I was one of those people for a long time, for years. It wasnt until I accepted that I will have fibro for the rest of my life that I started to see the good.

I hope I can see the good in Fibromyalgia, maybe that will come in time. But reading all you post is making me try to think positive.

The good it's brought would be that It has made me more compassionate for people in pain and also with depression. I think I would be a good therapist because of all of this pain and suffering I have gone through. I think it also has helped me seek alternative medicine like going to the chiropractor and massage therapy. These 2 things have helped me immensely and I do not think I would have gone to these without my fibromyalgia problems. It also has made me eat better, especially try and drink more milk and get more protein into my diet.

I hope I can see the good in Fibromyalgia, maybe that will come in time. But reading all you post is making me try to think positive.

Please do, Lana. They say that a positive outlook can change it all, but I know isn't so easy to do so, because when you are having a flare... you can't really think much beyond that pain. But at least we know what is causing our pain, I feel grateful for that, since there are a lot people out there with very serious issues that have no idea what is causing their pain. When I think of that I feel better about my pain, but sorry for them.

The upside of fibro for me has been being made to slow down and learn to be content with my life. Life is good, I mean I have a solid marriage and three healthy kids that I appreciate more than I used to. It has also made me dig deep and say I can do this.

Lana, I hope you can. Surround yourself with people that makes you happy and contented even if you have this kind of disease. Don't forget that God is always beside you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back