Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2009
Country
US
State
GA
I am sure many of us go to physical therapy as a part of our treatment. So, I am thinking we can share some of the excercises that our physical therapist give us with those who cannot afford to go to therapy so that they can get some relief as well. If you can copy a link to a you tube or diagram page that demonstrates how to do it properly that would be great too. If not a complete description should be sufficient.

Sadly this forum doesn't allow us to paste links of any kind, but if anyone wants to find cool routines that almost everyone can do (I can do them even tho I have a hernia), then search for dance workouts! Those are wonderful and don't place any kind of stress in the joints...

Well, that was a great idea about the dancing as excercising. For someone with other medical problems like your hernia I can imagine those are just perfect. I did not think about that when I made this thread and, I apologize that now all we can do is give detailed descriptions. Maybe we can give general info on where to look for a visual away from them board.

If you give general descriptions without naming a website or putting up a link I will let it pass by. anything that points to a certain website is not allowed, unless it is an educational or government website.

as you exercising try slow easy going nature walks or easy jumping up and down in one place in a warm swimming pool. Easy gardening or walking up your stairs can be good leg exercises. Or laying on your bed moving your arms and legs. a friend goes to the gym and uses the light weight weights to strengthen her arms and legs. :)

Well, that was a great idea about the dancing as excercising. For someone with other medical problems like your hernia I can imagine those are just perfect. I did not think about that when I made this thread and, I apologize that now all we can do is give detailed descriptions. Maybe we can give general info on where to look for a visual away from them board.

Walking is great as well, actually is a great workout. I'd do it, but the place where I live doesn't offer me many choices... my neighborhood is not the safest early in the morning. So many lonely dudes! But walking is definitely a great workout if you can't workout at home or you have other health conditions... like myself!

My insurance does not cover physical therapy. So, as I watch tv or a movie or reading, I will take a can of corn or something and do slow bicep and tricep curls, etc. It keeps my muscles loose, and for me prevents a flare from being too bad.

That is why I posted this thread so we could all share the best excercises from physical therapy and doctors to help those of us who do not have any insurance.

Yoga

The breathing part of yoga may be almost as accommodating to simplicity unending ache as the development and extending.

"Yoga can include exceptionally great reaches of movement including the spine and different joints so there is a danger of harm," he says. "You need to do whatever is an agreeable reach of movement inside your capabilities. Don't push it unless you're in great condition.

The kind of exercise that I've heard of that helps most is any kind of water/aquatic movements or routines.

There was also a thread here rather long ago about Tai Chi being very beneficial. When I learned Tai Chi, it was more of a martial arts *very* strenuous workout, but other members here convinced me that it can indeed be gentle and you don't *really* need to kick high enough to pop someone in the head with your foot. :wink:

Guided meditation is also a very good mental excercise to do to build your mind up to fight the disease we all have. You can find all types of guided meditations for pain on YouTube. I have used many of them and they are great. Deep breathing has healing powers of its own that will help as well.

Speed walking or just regular walking is also good for those of us with this disease. It can help with soreness and stiffness. Deep breathing while walking helps you to feel less pain and depression. This will allow us to feel better and, get through each day easier.

I've had Fibro.for about 20 yrs diagnosed.
I think everyone who has it, experiences
it at different levels of pain. Some have to
lessor degree & can work. Where others
have severe & are on disability & no way
could they work. The same is true for
meds & treatment. One thing works for
one person & the next person it does
nothing for. Exercise, diet, holistic
treatments can also affect each differently.
Hot water therapy with exercises
help. Low stress on body. Of course
the trick is finding one near to you.
Cause we all know, when a flare up
happens, you are not able to drive.
Also sometimes hot mineral springs
help. But I have to say, sometimes
the heat has also caused flare ups.

Walking in the country or forest or
out in nature in quite place. I agree
with all the advice with yoga, tai chi,
deep breathing, meditation, dancing,
Qi gong, massage, Accupuncture help.
These modalities along with others
Help but again you have to learn what is
enough & not too much on some of these
as overdone they can also cause
flare ups. Each person should only
do what they are able & that goes
for every single thing in your life.

The kind of exercise that I've heard of that helps most is any kind of water/aquatic movements or routines.

There was also a thread here rather long ago about Tai Chi being very beneficial. When I learned Tai Chi, it was more of a martial arts *very* strenuous workout, but other members here convinced me that it can indeed be gentle and you don't *really* need to kick high enough to pop someone in the head with your foot. :wink:

That's what I heard too! I heard that aquatic exercises are the best, because they don't put any kind of stress in your joints. I would love to go swimming instead of exercising at home, sadly we don't have any pool nearby. I heard that swimmers have the best bodies, my ex had a really nice body and muscles thanks to that! I wish I had a swimmer body, sadly I still have extra body fat.

Guided meditation is also a very good mental excercise to do to build your mind up to fight the disease we all have. You can find all types of guided meditations for pain on YouTube. I have used many of them and they are great. Deep breathing has healing powers of its own that will help as well.

I have heard about the power of deep breathing and positive combined together, a friend of mine told me about it and also asked me to check some video online about metaphysics as well. I must say that breathing properly can really help to relax, I wish that before doing or saying something stupid I could just do some deep and relaxing breathing.

That's what I heard too! I heard that aquatic exercises are the best, because they don't put any kind of stress in your joints. I would love to go swimming instead of exercising at home, sadly we don't have any pool nearby.

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that you don't have a pool you can visit. Are there any places that specifically offer water therapy that may not be a customary pool, but still water that would work? Any YMCA? I guess not because those would be pools. :sad:

How are you doing, Trellum? I've looked for posts for updates the days I was here, but I've had to do some traveling lately and haven't been fully caught up here yet. I hope you're having some good days and have found a way to deal with some of those health issues you've mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back