DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
CA
State
Quebec
Hi all!

I have recently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and I am will also likely be diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis (painful bladder syndrome). I was wondering if anyone else wakes up after a nap feeling super groggy and sick, and their pain gets out of hand with a super nasty taste in their mouth? I don't seem to be able to recover from a nap at all. It's so weird. And I get super foggy and I honestly half the time wonder if I've woken up in an alternative reality. Everything seems off and there is nothing I can do to fix it except go to bed and hope that I wake up in MY reality the next morning. The world seems shrouded in greys and weirdness, and I am in a painful, groggy, hell. Anywho, does anyone else enter this madness post-nap?

Thanks for your input and I wish you all the very best of luck with your health and your lives!

Cheers!

AliInMontreal

Ali, I am right there with you with the nap thing. I don't find naps to be terribly refreshing at all. In fact, when I wake up from a nap, it takes me quite a while to wake up and get my head on straight again. I try to get to bed early or sleep late, rather than have to nap during the day, so that I don't have to deal with the post-nap lethargy.

My husband is a napper (not fibro though), and he says part of my problem is my naps are too long. Honestly, if I leave the waking up to happen naturally, I'll sleep for 4-6 hours at a time. I'm just so tired. He says I should try sleeping for only 30 minutes at a time, but I hate the feeling of waking up from a daytime nap, so I just avoid them altogether, unless I am having a really terrible day.

The nasty taste in your mouth I don't really have an answer for, other than, for myself anyway, if I go to sleep for several hours without brushing my teeth first, I am going to wake up with bad breath. But if I'm napping, I think, oh, I'll wake up in an hour, so I don't brush my teeth. Then when I wake up four hours later, I'll wish I brushed them.

Woah, it sounds like you are going thru a lot! That post-nap experiences you described sound really awful. When I nap I do feel very badly, sometimes I wake up feeling a bit anxious or grumpy. Sometimes I wake up feeling very warm and takes me a while to recover. I avoid naps for that reason, I had some really weird experiences while napping during the evenings... I thought it was a neurological issue, the scanned my brain and found nothing.

I take a nap daily when I can. Some days I wake refreshed, others just woozy. It's hard for me to get thru the day without a nap. Otherwise I have to resort to a cup of coffee, which ends up screwing up my night sleep.

Thanks everyone for your replies, it is nice/shitty to hear that I'm not the only one with this type of experience after napping. When I nap it's usually for like a half hour to an hour and I wake up on my own usually. And I also experience the warmth sometimes, anxiety and so on. The warmth isn't even nice, it's like this unnatural weirdness that only adds to the sense that I'm in a different dimension. I wish I could take naps but I just don't feel like they're worth it. They're supposed to help you feel better, not like you've crossed over.. into hell....

Has anyone that has had this experience figured out an effective way to avoid the post-nap recovery fail? :S

Wow sounds like hell! Your body probably doesn't enter and exit sleep well since you have Fibromyalgia. Your body probably wants to stay awake and in turn once you actually get up, you feel the symptoms you've described above. I feel the same things when I nap (although I do not suffer from Fibromyalgia) and I know what you're going through. It's a rather annoying and irritating feeling. To avoid it try looking online for ways to wake yourself up during the lighter sleep stages because it sounds like you're waking up during REM sleep (deep sleep/dreaming) and is what's causing you to wake up groggy.

Hope I helped!

It's a crap shoot for me. I just woke up from a nap and super groggy, other times I am slightly refreshed. I have never had a nap and popped up saying wow I feel better though. Lol. Wish that were the case. I try to take a nap every day as it seems to help more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back