Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
05/2010
Country
US
State
OH
I had a friend posted something to his FB page. Gave me a laugh and I thought it was fitting:

Take the Face Punch Challenge. Help spread awareness of Fibromyalgia and Donate money to Fibromyalgia research. At the same time, get a taste for what it is like to live with FMS.

Face Punch Challenge, Go.

I've had fibro 17 years, but even on my worst days cannot imagine comparing it to ALS which is the cruelest, most awful disease on the planet and (to date) has no cure. While I'm certainly in favor of research for fibro/CFS/ME, I pray nightly that a cure for ALS will be found. If you are unfamiliar with ALS, take a moment to read about it and you'll see why fibro is a mere PIMPLE by comparison.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you. I was a med tech in the Air Force and took care of patients with ALS. I would slowly watch them go from walking to becoming totally bedridden. They would want to help so bad but knew their bodies would not respond. I wouldn't wish any condition that causes pain on anyone. Anyway to raise money for a good cause is a great thing.

It seems people are not understanding the spirit behind this post. I am sorry that it is being misinterpreted and it is making people take it personally. It is not meant to be in any way a comment on ALS. I think what people are doing with the ice bucket challenge is wonderful. At the same time I found inspiration in it and after seeing this post from a friend, I started wondering if there was a way to raise awareness (and help stop the stigma) of FMS. I don't think this diminishes ALS any more than wearing pink for breast cancer awareness does.

I am so pleased that the ALS challenge has raised over $15 million. We are so far from a cure for many debilitating diseases, some of which devastatingly cut short lives. I've lost good friends to ALS, MS, ovarian and breast cancers. I've watched friends slip away to Alzheimer's. We cannot pick what disease we get to have so that we might get a "better one," we can only soldier on. Having donated and skipped the icy water ALS challenge, I'd support a voodoo doll fibro challenge: How many places do you hurt today? Gentle hugs to all.

My only problem with these challenges is those who just do the challenge and don't donate to the cause. I am all for raising awareness, but if you do the challenge say how much you gave and urge others to do so also. I like what Charlie Sheen did. He may be bit of a whacko but he filmed his challenge and instead of dumping ice water he dumped the 10,000 dollars he was donating on his head. That sends a good message in my opinion.

Voodoo doll fibro challenge. I love it. Very apropos.

I had been contemplating starting a face slap FMS challenge. It would be attention grabbing and you would need less materials than the voodoo challenge. :)

I'm not very happy with some celebrities doing the ice bucket challenge, this seacrest guy only donated $100, and didn't even shared a link to the site to create awareness. I don't like how in every video most of them are laughing, when ALS is no laughing matter. I truly feel they do this just to get some attention and free publicity, which is sad, because the whole ice bucket idea was kinda silly to start with but is made worse by them.

It seems people are not understanding the spirit behind this post. I am sorry that it is being misinterpreted and it is making people take it personally. It is not meant to be in any way a comment on ALS. I think what people are doing with the ice bucket challenge is wonderful. At the same time I found inspiration in it and after seeing this post from a friend, I started wondering if there was a way to raise awareness (and help stop the stigma) of FMS. I don't think this diminishes ALS any more than wearing pink for breast cancer awareness does.

Don't worry, I do :p I think the idea is great (the ice bucket one and yours for that matter), but I don't like the way the ice bucket challenge is being done. But ah well, as long as lot people donate and awareness is created all is good :) I think there should be a similar challenge for fibro, at least to create awareness. Not sure I want to get a punch in the face tho, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back