Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
AU
State
VIC
Does anyone else have issues with tap water quality?
Since moving into my partner's place (well before I even moved in...). First time I ever took a shower the water was burning my skin and was not relieved until I went back to my own house to shower.

Now 2 years later I can't even drink or cook with it. My mouth and eyes get itchy...my blood pressure gets high..I have trouble breathing!
My joints and muscles actually HURT from bathing in it! My skin is in pain! I have prickling nerve sensations. I've tried all temperatures, showers, baths etc.
It hurts all over. The only place my skin doesn't hurt is my face which I use bottled water (it was hurting...and cleared up within a day from the bottled water!).
The water SMELLS of metal. My skin smells like metal now too and if you rub it black dots/flakes come off which smell strongly of metal too! Allergy? Toxicity? I asked the Rheumatologist as I'm newly diagnosed and he said a lot of fibro people have chemical and metal sensitivities.

I am seriously going to have to move out.
My partner doesn't believe how much it is affecting me. He said he doesn't believe that 'microparticles' can be absorbed through the skin (duh of course they can!).

I am in SO much pain.
I've tried KDF filter and that doesn't help (that's metal too). It was helping but not for long, my partner has too hot showers and probably ruined the filter.
He doesn't want to get a whole house treatment system. I can't afford it and have just had to leave work. He owns the house as well. He's happy to spend thousands of dollars on crap but not actually improving the environment.

Sorry for my rant but surely I'm not the only one? Topicals can cause muscle/joint pain right?

So sorry you haven't gotten any replies yet. I have to speak for myself and say this doesn't happen to me, but maybe it's because I've been living in this place my whole life, I've traveled to different places tho and this had never happen to me. It sounds like the water where you live might have be hard water. Have you ever thought of taking some in a bottle and send it to get tested? Maybe you can find out more that way, there definitely is something lurking in that water and for some reason you are super sensitive to it!

If you have an allergy to a specific thing in the water then you may find that this is the problem. For example there are varying levels of chlorine in tap water, and it can depend on where you are living, so you may not have noticed that there is a problem in one place, whereas in other places you may not be able to use the water at all. It could be worth you getting in touch with your local council, because there is a chance that the levels of chemicals in your water are too high. Other people may be having the same problem but haven't bothered to complain, and they may be able to do something about it. If not, then you may want to think about moving to somewhere else - because not being able to use the water is definitely quite a big problem!

I have had a basic test done on the water. IT came up with Total Dissolved Solids of 560ppm which is really high. The water is hard but not severely hard. Also they use a lot of aluminium to treat the water.
I did my own metal test at home which came back as high, so there's lots of metal in there. I can feel a freaking current coming from our taps because it's so high.
I've complained to the local water corp and they have nothing to say.
Some of my very severe symptoms have improved since I stopped drinking it but still i'm faced with it every day on my skin.
I'm probably going to end up moving in with a friend (other problems with our relationship). No use staying here if it's making me unhappy and unwell.

Maybe were you guys live or have traveled to just hasn't been that bad? I have travelled to a lot of countries and never come across anything like this either! It's our whole neighborhood as the local gym was the same. Also my friend who lives a few suburbs over has the same type of water, a little softer but still strongly metallic.

I'm going for allergy testing at the end of next month.

Maybe you have lead in your water. Lead poisoning causes some pretty severe symptoms.
Lead can be in the water, soil, paint in your place if it is built before 1970-something.
I have trouble with black mold and asbestos in the places I live also. Or mildew.
I rent and have issues with a lot of environmental things (I have sensitivities to the stuff, but not true allergies).
I don't believe a 'sensitivity' to something would necessarily show up on a standard allergy test.
My daughter has severe food sensitivities, but her allergy testing was negative.
Still, she cannot tolerate a lot of things and they make her sick.
I would avoid anything that is bothersome to your body. Many things make people feel ill, and not everyone is the same.
Doctors aren't sensitive to someone who has a sensitivity unless they have experienced it themselves.
They don't know how it feels. I empathize with you, as I have been there before.
If your relationship is a difficult one, you may also be struggling with depression, which makes pain and sensitivities feel worse.
Focus on making you feel better. Whatever the cost.
*Hugs*

There is a serious problem with the water or maybe an allergic reaction. I have not drank tap water in years but I do shower and brush my teeth with it regularly. Your partner is not experiencing any difficulties so it may be a skin condition. Then again the pungent smell of metal in the water is not a good sign either. Should have more of a chlorine smell.

atuckerit I empathize, It's a 1964 home. So anything is possible. The pipes are copper but I can see so much wear on them. Possibly asbestos too. The cieling seems to be flaking away. The paint is very dodgy too. Could be lead but I think it might be the aluminium sulphate in the water (because the buildup i get all over my skin feels like what deodorant leaves behind with that metal smell). People say lead isn't absorbed through the skin but who knows...

wulfman the derm doesn't seem to think it's a skin condition. Although...my partner has really hypersensitive skin that marks easily, mine has become exactly the same since living here only the difference is mine causes lots of pain (and itching). He does scratch a lot too. It' s definitely the water.

The water is high in Chlorine (well chloride came back high). Again, the metal overpowers every smell. My nose bleeds have also stopped since I stopped drinking it. Sucks if I eat food contaminated by it. I flare up again all itchy inside and out.

i am going to a friends place today and will have a shower there. Hopefully will see the difference.

The water quality isn't very good, (relatively for England, not like Brazil quality) but I don't have trouble with bathing. Sometimes the shower irritates my skin but I think that's the chlorine. For drinking I have a brita filter, but they can be quite expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back