Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2008
Country
US
State
TX
Hello all, I hope you can help me by asking your doctors,friends,co-worker and family.
I have a unheard of problem so I'm told by many doctors to include emergency room doctors.
My problem:
We I get within 15 ft of stainless steel or surgical stainless I get a taser like shock, all my energy leaves my body and then I pass out. I can't even get in an elevator or I I pass out.
If I leave the area or elevator I begin to come back to life. As I go to doctors monthly for meds I have go have the nurse remove all the stainless from the room. (Tray and step stool) the sink is what gets me every time. I have about 10 minutes in the room and the I begin to pass out. I have to leave the room or even to the building for 15-20 minutes before I revive and I can go back in to the office.
My pain mgt doctor has never heard of or seen this reaction to stainless before. I been to GP's, neurologist, rhuatologist,neurosurgeon, Pain mgt,heart doctor,alligest and all have said I never seen this. I just had surgery. Both my wife and I told the doctor and the operating room nurses not to use
Metal staples as they would send lightning bolt like pain to my incision area.
I woke up after surgery on a Monday afternoon. I felt the lighting bolts going to my stomach. The pain was terrible lvl7. The hospital gave me a button to push that released dilotted Evey 10 minutes.the doctor can into my room Monday eve. My wife told him of the lighting bolts and asked if he put metal staples in. I had a gurtle like rap and a gauze pad over the scar. We could not see if there were staples there. The doctor assured both of us he did not put in any metal to include staples. The pain continued. The doctor came back on wed. My wife advised him of the pain and asked once again if he put in metal staples. He said "yes I did. But they are titanium and u can't be allergic to that." He said he has never seen this before and quickly removed the strapped he put in.
As you can see,doctors have there own views on this and don't believe it. Even if they see it with there own eyes.
Please ask around and see if anyone else has this problem. I need to get funding so this can be researched. Just one other person I found has this. Please help if you can.

I am Curious if you are allergic to nickel. It's a relatively common allergy and most stainless steel contains nickel. I'm not but about titanium staples, but it might be worth checking if some of them also contain nickel. Chemical sensitivity is common for fibro folks, so I wonder if others have noticed increased sensitivity to metals and alloys.

I believe what you say, although, I don't have a serious reaction like yours, I am allergic to nickel as in some rings and jewelry. I would just get a bad rash if I wore that metal. I will ask around if anyone has ever heard of this reaction. I hope your feeling better now.
By the way welcome to the forum. I hope you can find some new coping skills here and make some new friends as well. Good luck to you with your research into this metal sensitivity.

Yes I have been tested for nickel n other things like food.
I'm allergic to nickel,strawberries, most types of pine trees.
Christmas season in the grocery store is really hard on me.
Also the preservatives in most drugs. Lido cane and all the canes. Even epinephrine. They say you can't be allergic to it due to your body produces it. I can only laugh at them because they are putting in a man made product with preservatives. epinephrine my reaction to that is the blood vessels actually explode and create a blood blister type thing under my gum.I did go to a doctor to get this checked and the doctor told me how epinephrine works. It is used to expand the blood vessels so that blood can travel freely to the heart so what is happening when I get a small amount of epinephrine like in a lidocaine shot at your dentist. my blood vessel actually expands but then burst. he advised my wife and myself to never call EMS people if I am having chest pains. they will give me a very large amount of it into my heart. at that point my heart will just explode. I'm sure non of my reactions to stainless have to do with nickel or chemicals as I don't touch it to have the reaction.
They tell me it is not a allergic reaction due to my throat dies not swell nor do I get as rash. If I I do touch it I get the shock,if I hold it I will get a rash. I know this I weird to everyone ad I had to grow up with this. I just want to get some research done on this so kids that have this in the future don't have to live life like I do.
Thanks for reading my posts n talking to folks n doctors on my behalf:). I do get help from this forum and will continue to come here daily. I keep thinking maybe I can help onthetrs that come here,but telling them my stories n how I get some relive from the pain. Stay well my friends!

I see 215 views. Only 3 replies. Please if you view and are willing to ask your doctor family friends or anyone else please reply with who you asked and what they said. I'm go to UT southwestern in April and I would love to say I found others or a diagnoses. They will not research this if I'm the only person in the world with this. Please help.

I once saw a documentary on a lady who was allergic reaction to nearly everything u can imagine .i wish I could remember the name.the poor women never left the house. She was taking something if I find the link il send it to u xx

Thanks forgetmenot.
I was told that social media may get me some help.
I'm not sure what types There are. I'm not savy on this.
I'm going to try to make a utube video and I'm try to contact doctor Oz TV show next. If any of you are savy on social media please feel free to post my story. Thanks to all!

So sorry I can't be much help, but personally I haven't heard of anything like this. But I have to be honest that it doesn't sound like an allergic reaction to me, since it would be more likely to be leaving you with a skin condition or breathing problems rather than intense pain like that...

It sounds like a static reaction. Maybe try doing something to discharge the static in you beforehand and see if that helps? I really don't know what to recommend though. There are things to help discharge static for computer componants and stuff, but I really don't know if it would help on a body-wide scale like that. I am far from being physics savvy, but I'll see if there is something I can find for you and come back if I do. x

Please take care before following advice in the above article, as it may make you worse. It is very difficult to say.. A static shock should only happen when you are actually in contact with something. Does this only happen to you when you touch something or just by being near something?

Your tolerance to shock could be very low. Most people have a threashold where it will not bother them most of the time as they do not feel it, but some people can be very sensitive to static shocks.

Other than that, I really cannot suggest anything else I'm afraid. Again, sorry it is not too helpful.

P.S: Regarding the epinephrine (which I assume is the same or similar to addrenaline in local anesthetics to prevent them from dissapating into the body too quickly) can you not request for a medical wrist band or something for your allergies? Seems more common sense than not calling for help at all! Yeah, the EMT's might not be able to do anything if the epinephrine/addrenaline shot is the only option, but I thought that was generally only used when the heart is actually needing the kickstart - ie, when you are unconcsious.

I MUST add that I have no medical training what-so-ever, so please take my advice with a pinch of salt.

Link Not Allowed

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the static reaction. I will look into this.

Well it seams I'm alone with this metal thing.
They won't research it if its only me. I'm still trying to get the utube thing going.
I don't know what it takes. 14 straight days now of level 7/8 pain and passing out it not making this go faster.

BTW TV shows won't work for me. My skin lupus and all the lights will burn me and of course make me pass out. Probably not what people want to see.

Cmetryme, I'm reading your posts and sorry to say I'm totally stumped. I have never heard of this. I am also so sorry you are having to go through this alone. I wish I had words of wisdom or some thoughts that might help you, but it's beyond my understanding of what could be causing this. I assume you have googled it? You mention TV shows won't work for you, but you can use a computer? Can you view TV shows through the computer? I think that's possible if you had something you wanted to see. I hope you find some solution and will say a prayer for you.....

Terbaer,thanks for careing.
I can use a computer for only a short period of time.
The wires/electronic that run through them shock me and
Make my whole arm, shoulder, wrist and hand numb.
Pins n needle, and throbbing. I do use a tablet covered in leather. As far as the TV show, I wanted to go on TV on Dr Oz. I can't do that. Just some more information. about to give you a laugh. When i go to grocery store,they have the automatic doors with the big sensor at the top. Sometimes the doors just won't open. I even have walked into them and have fallen back on the ground. One time I was waving both arms over my head to get them to open to now avail. A woman was standing back behind me. She said I guess they are not working. Another woman came walking up and the doors opened.lol the first woman said that was so weird.
This has happened to me at 4 different stores. So its not a bad door at all those places.
Btw I never keep walking I wait for the doors to open.

I won't even go into the pain from the shelving and racks.
Thanks and have a laugh on me.lol

L

I'm glad you're able to laugh at yourself. Sometimes that's what keeps us going. Laugh or cry. I too choose laugh. The door situation is kind of humorous. This can't be just an isolated case. I can't believe you are the ONLY one this happens too. Maybe if you can get on Dr. Oz, they can turn down the lights on you. Try and see what they can do to accommodate you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back