Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2015
Country
US
State
OR
I have been feeling very anxious lately. This is not like stressful event related anxiety, though I've had plenty of that over the last several weeks. It's more of a stand alone anxiety with no clear source. It seems to attach itself to whatever I want to do now.

Post-fibromyalgia me seems to have a lot more difficulty processing stress and anxiety than pre-fibromyalgia me did. I am not sure whether this anxiety is part of fibromyalgia, if it's caused by the stress of loosing some of my abilities or something else.

Do any of you have any advice on how stress, anxiety and fibromyalgia are interrelated? How do you stay strong?

Hi DK, I can totally relate to what you are saying. I have been having that problem since April. I stress about anything and everything. I cry all the time and I don't know why. I am trying to get in to see a counselor but everyone is so backed up it will be months before I can see anybody. I wish I lived closer to someone who goes through this because it would be nice to share the feelings with someone. I want to volunteer but I have to wait two weeks for the next orientation. So I sit around and worry, worry, worry. And wait, wait, wait for something to happen. Are you male or female? Not that it matters, just wondering if we are sharing the same problems based on our gender.

Hello DK,

I deal with anxiety on a constant basis. I totally understand, relate and know how difficult it is to cope with. Actually, today I had what I believe was a full on anxiety attack, I couldn't breathe my heart was racing and I felt like I was going to faint from being light headed. I do have anxiety all the time which seems to be general and related to nothing, and then I also suffer from specific anxiety and worry.

I have been seeing a counsellor for this which I find helps to talk to an outside un bias party, so I would recommend doing that if you can. I did ask my rheumatologist about the anxiety and she said that it is also a symptom of fibro. I don't really understand why or where that comes from though.

I am sorry if this post was not helpful, but I just wanted to let you know that your not alone, and sometimes it is helpful even to come to this site and just vent about how you are feeling with people who can truly relate to you.

Feel free to message me privately any time if you need to talk or just need someone to listen. Thoughts and prayers out to you tonight.

Lyndsey

I have this, but not like other people. I stress about nothing. I cry about nothing. I worry about nothing. I am just going along minding my own business, for instance getting groceries, and bam, I get pain in my arm and leg, I feel like I am going to pass out, I grab the back of my neck, my vision going blurry. No reason for it. I can now only relate that it happens when I do anything I love. mushroom hunting in the woods, thunderstorms, driving, shopping. If I like doing it, my body won't let me. Great.

Thank you both for letting me know I am not alone. It really does help me feel more calm.

Please message me also if you would like.

Wishing you both a peaceful state of mind.

PS, I am a woman.

Hello,
I suffer this way too. I have days where I seem to be anxious over everything. I think maybe I have such a fear of the future and having to take a different path than what I planned prior to my diagnosis. I'm 46 and our last 2 of 5 kids are starting and finishing high school this year. I really want to be able to enjoy them these last years at home but most days are a struggle and I feel so guilty for that. I don't take an anxiety medication yet but if I don't get this under control I may consider it. It's a terrible feeling when it takes over. I wish you the best in your journey to figure out what works for you and hope you find much comfort. Dyana

Thank you Dyana, I hope you find something that helps you too. My kids are in high school and middle school. They have really stepped up to the plate. I am proud of them and at the same time I feel bad that I need so much help from them. Conflicting feelings, eh?

Trayne, you are right that sounds very difficult. I am wishing you well.

hello all,

what you have to remember is with fibro our brains process the signals differently than most folks.
this will cause us to get the anxiety you all are talking about. some take meds, some see a counselor and some like me
my doctor thinks none of it will help me.

we get nerve blocker meds.(gabby,lyrica) these block some of the signals that our brain has to process. they will sometimes
cause our brain to go into anxiety or panic attacks.

we will also get brain fog too. this is normal for folks with fibro. find what works for you. your in control of your treatment plan.

Thanks Cmetryme,

Do you find that the various fibromyalgia symptoms all tend to increase together (so if I am feeling more pain, I might expect more anxiety or forgetfulness) or do you think they all go up and down independently?

Take into account, the meds you on, check for side effects, if your on amnitriptolane, cymbalta, lyrica. All have some considerable side effects, extra anxiety being just one.

DK,
yes very much so.

increased pain will cause many things to happen to your body.

its your brain processing the pain signals from the muscles to send pain.
the pathway is our nerves. read my post "what is fibromyalgia" it explains all of this too.

remember stress = pain. anxiety causes even more pain

pain = less sleep

less sleep causes brain fog (forgetfulness)

by reducing your messages to the brain to send pain everywhere you should see so relief in many areas.

remember fibro has flare ups. we cant stop or do anything about that. we have to learn to cope when that happens.

i'd like to say here, that i noticed you are posting and helping others when you do that.
thanks for choosing our forum and group of folks. know that you are helping.

keep coming here to learn. spread to others what you have learned. we have so many new folks sometimes
forgetmenot, some others and I have a hard time figuring out how we can help the folks that come here looking
for real advise and answers from folks that have fibromyalgia.

welcome to the group. we are lucky to have you.

I also experience Anxiety now like I never had before Fibro. I had an extremely stressful personal situation a few years that brought my anxiety to a level that has remained elevated since then. I don't react well to stress and have anxiety and depression. I am on so many different meds right now my doc is sending my to see a mental health professional so they can evaluate the meds and make sure that they are not making the anxiety and depression worse. They are supposed to help me learn some stress and pain management techniques. I hope it helps. I am going through a custody battle and the stress and heartache is huge. I am also simultaneously leaving the career I have been doing for the last 8 years because the stress is such a trigger for my fibro that I must find something less stressful to do. Also the fatigue is so bad I can barely work an 8 hour shift anymore. Anxiety is definitely high right now! So of course I am also hurting bad. :(

Dizzyray

i would like for your to try two things.

1- tapping technique
2- meditation

these help me and many others here.

place foil over the windows in your room.
take a hot bath with Epson salt.
low soft music.

these things can help you right away.

Thanks Cmetryme. My mom told me about tapping once a long time ago. I will look it up and try it again. I am trying to meditate but sometimes find it VERY hard to settle my brain down.

Hello,
I suffer this way too. I have days where I seem to be anxious over everything. I think maybe I have such a fear of the future and having to take a different path than what I planned prior to my diagnosis. I'm 46 and our last 2 of 5 kids are starting and finishing high school this year. I really want to be able to enjoy them these last years at home but most days are a struggle and I feel so guilty for that. I don't take an anxiety medication yet but if I don't get this under control I may consider it. It's a terrible feeling when it takes over. I wish you the best in your journey to figure out what works for you and hope you find much comfort. Dyana

try doing the tapping technique to reduce your anxiety.

there are many things you can do to reduce stress and anxiety.
breathing exercises reduce it too.

now i would like to say here. we with fibro live our lives here day to day.
we try not to focus on the future as it will cause us even more stress and pain.

pace yourself. you will have good days and some bad days.

you have a supportive family that will be there for you. you can do the things you want with them. just be happy for today and know you will have the good days with the kids in the future.

remember stress = pain. anxiety = pain both of those = fatigue.

learn what helps and what hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back