sensitive to loud noise and/or frighten easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEH*

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2015
Country
US
State
NC
Does anyone else get really jumpy or frighten easily when there is a loud noise? Loud and unexpected noises really shake me up. My senses are extremely sensitive. I remember one day I was driving and a motorcycle drove by me and I was so upset for quite some time and my heart was racing so fast that I had to pull over. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this?

For me it's more that being startled hurts. It used to bother my ex that when I jumped I would say 'ow'. Now I know why.

I understand that! It sometimes get a shocking feeling sometimes when I'm frightened.

It seems like I am sensitive to a lot. Loud noises, bright lights, hot/cold, etc. I get extremely irritable about little things and I think it's due to my pain level and the sensitivity from pain causes the irritability. Does that make sense? Lol

It's crazy how many things are annoying to those that can't understand what we're going through!

ever heard the saying my nerves are shot? makes me jumpy and all the things you said. well you have fibro and your nerves are shot.

Yes, it happens quite often! :) Only when I am fully relaxed and meditate I feel myself calm and sudden noisy sounds don't hurt.

Yes! Things that used to be mildly startling are now painful. It's like a pressure wave across my body. Sometimes I get dizzy and my vision blacks out a little - I figure my body is pulling all the blood into my core (and away from my poor brain). I have the heart pounding thing to.

I seem to recover faster if I take a few deep breaths.

Hello yes fibro does severall things to your nervous systems. first is over sensitivity to some simple reactions. As the continious pain from fibro can create what i call phantom pains. these for me are sharp sudden pains in a part of the body thats normally fine. They dont last more than a few seconds but they are percieved as very painfull. in a normal heathly body these would just be a twitch. but we see it as pain. so why sound? well sudden un expected sounds usually cause us to jump. and when in a drowsy sleep ( Like falling asleep in front of the telly ) will cause a violent flight or fight type of reaction and the body reacts. But for fibro patients it starts a process that it cant finnish so leaves one in a wierd state where the body does not know what to do. The brain is confused and this " whats goin on " reaction will cause you to feel scared shocked and unwell. If it happened when driving i would think you were in a partial trance anyway , probably from your meds or when we get this "auto pilot" sensation where we are doing things automatically in a sub contious state and not fully awake. thats why the sudden noise from the motorbike brought you back to a fully consious state and your body didnt know what to do..This unlocks the cold sweat/fear/depressive state and you feel horrible..
The truth is you should not be driving if your meds are doing this... i avoid taking tramadol during the day to prevent me getting in this state.as i am allways having to drive..so i have to manage the pain with a tramadol-paracetamol mix 37.5mg and 325mg rather than taking 150mg of tramadol

if i have had to take higher doses or the pains are too much then i wont drive.
this is just one possibility of what you were experienceing . im no doctor but do understand what is happening inside me.

Fibro will allways create depression and despite me taking Laroxile the depression and sensitivity is allways just lurking under the surface. That too is normal as we are not happy from we have...we have lost certain abilities and strenght, have great pain and weakness and the soul gets weakened. Suffering from fibro you have to accept this...you will be over sensitive, as the whole nerviouse system is affected, you just have to allow for that. and remember it,s just your fibro talking.
colin

Hi Meh*
I truly understand how you feel about being startled. I've noticed recently that I "jump" when I hear a loud noise or if someone comes up behind me. I had an experience just yesterday. I was riding in the car with my husband on the way to his doctor. Before we even get half way there, we are almost in an accident. The sudden stopping and tensing was very painful. Thanks to my husbands excellent driving skills we made it out ok. I did notice that my body was in shock and all I could do was breath.
I'm glad that I read this thread. I thought that the being startled easily was just part of getting older. Knowing now that its part of fibro helps me deal with it better.

Minilandrover, that all makes perfect sense! I have accepted it by now and understand that it's just part of my life now. I do understand about being in a trance from meds; however, at that point in time I wasn't taking any meds...but it certainly felt like I was! Thanks for the info!

Hi PattiD! The replies from this post are helping me as well! It makes me feel better to know its not just me experiencing this. I am 28 and have been experiencing it since I was around 25. But luckily, it is one of the fibro symptoms that I can actually handle...considering all of the other symptoms can be much worse! If I could take this symptom and replace it with pain, I would do it in a heartbeat! :) take care!

small sound make me cannot sleep. Sleep in the quiet room.

minilandrover,
well said!

it's very much part of fibro and the brains we have.
keep posting good information. its helps everyone here.

I am highly sensitive to noises and smells. Before I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia I insisted on having the tv on mute during the advertisements because the noise about drove me crazy. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. Does anyone else have a hard time with smells?

I used to work in a pulp and paper mill, which is a very stinky place (like rotten eggs). During the years I worked there I apparently unconsciously trained my mind to filter bad smells out, so now I am not consciously aware of them, though they can still make me nauseous. If I concentrate I can usually bring back awareness of the bad smell. I tend to detect bad smells earlier than other people, but within a few seconds I don't smell them any more.

I am amazed how effective my mental filter is - I have even filtered out the smell surstroemming (very smelly fermented fish) despite feeling nauseous after being around it. (No offence meant any surströmming fans out there.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back