Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
None
I hate to keep harping on the same subject but as I sit here I sit here in raw terror. I have only 10 more days until my surgery (total shoulder replacement) and I know I'm not going to be able to make it through all the things I will need to make it through. I just took a shower, washed, dried and styled my hair and got dressed and that was so exhausting I need a nap and that is with the ability to use both arms. I can't take that nap because I have my granddaughter today since it will be awhile before I will be able to have her again. We are going to decorate for Halloween so I am going to try to concentrate on being happy and enjoying my time with her. But I am dreading the surgery to the point where it is almost abnormal. I really could use some words of encouragement right now and any pointers from someone who has been through this and how they handled it.

Hay don't beat yourself up having an op is scary whatever your age, or illness.
Yes it's going to be bloody sore after but it can't be any worse then the pain your in with the shoulder u got.do what they tell u after and u will be just fine.
Tell yourself ,if I didn't need this doing I wouldn't be having it done.this maybe the best thing for u .yes u will have days where u say omg I wish I never had it done.theres always a point where we feel like that.but we do get better.u will get better. Just think how lucky we are to be able to do these op .100 years ago u had good reason to be scared. If u can cope with fibro u can cope with anything xxxx

Hi Krista, I haven't been through a total shoulder replacement, but I have been through a spinal fusion and a corrective back surgery after that. I don't know what your surgery entails but I too was very very nervous and anxious about the surgery weeks and days leading up to it. There was 60/40 chance I would feel better after the surgery, but I had reached a point where my chronic back pain became so severe I was willing to take that chance.

Hang in there and have faith that this will all be over shortly. Join groups online for people who had your type of surgery. I found a few including one on fb and corresponded with a lady who had my specific type of surgery. She was able to tell me her experience which helped me alot to put my mind at ease. I even found YouTube videos of people recording their experience pre and post surgery. I can be over indulgent when it comes to research and for me this was helpful but it might add anxiety for others.

I hope your recovery is swift. One advice I got repeatedly from others who went through the same surgery was to not rush the healing process. To take the time off from work, house duties, etc to really recover. Ask for help in advance or find a nurse if you are able. It was a very slow recovery for me, it took a few weeks to walk again and another few to start climbing stairs. I knew i wouldn't be able to bend my legs or my back for a while so I got one of those reaching sticks to pick up objects if I needed to pick up something off the floor. I don't know what kind of mobility limitations you will have but something to think about?

I will pray for your surgery and a speedy recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back