New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

TiredInNC is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: swansboro
State: North Carolina
Diagnosed: 03/2000
Interest: I have Fibromyalgia, chronic pain, or chronic fatigue.
TiredInNC is on a distinguished road
Question What Sleep Meds Help You?

Hi Everyone,
I am new here. I have been dealing with Fibro since the late 1990's. I was taking Elavil for sleep for years. I was sleeping well with it but still having pain. About a year and a half ago my Doc took me off of it so I could take Zoloft in the day. I also suffer from bad PMS and depression. I tried Ambien but found myself wide awake at 3am and a Zombie all day. Not good. Then he switched me to Restoril 15mg. It seemed to work well for me but had to up the dose to 30 mg after a few months. I am currently taking 30mgs of Restoril with 300 mg of Gabapentin, 10 mg of Flexeril along with melatonin and Valerian root. I sleep pretty well most nights BUT my pain and exhaustion has gotten soooo much worse in the past year and a half. I have also recently developed chronic pain in my ear (no infection) and pain in front of my ears and frequent tension headaches. My Dr says I have TMJ now too. JOY.

I have read numerous articles which suggest that the Restoril reduces time spent in deep sleep and am wondering if that is why I have gone downhill so badly. Or perhaps it is because I am getting older. I will be 44 this January. I have not really found a good DR in my area who is an expert on Fibro. No medication I have tried has helped me much at all. I do not have the luxury of relaxing all day. My days can be quite physical and I feel like I am living in hell.

I would love to hear what others are using to get a good night's sleep. What combos have worked for you?

PS. I cannot go back to the Elavil as I get really bad RLS from it now and I tried Trazadone. By itself it was horrible, up and down all night and when I tried it with the Gabapentin I woke up in the middle of the night with a tremendous headache.

TY
Old 10-14-2015, 08:51 AM #2 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

brahmatorry is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: palembang
State: sumatera selatan
Diagnosed: 06/2012
brahmatorry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Sleep Meds Help You?

I take amitriptylin for 4 year side effect include day time fatigue. For the pain i suggest devil claw . It help ease the pain.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:01 AM #3 (permalink)
Registered Member

DK_engineer is on a distinguished road
Registered Member
City: Newberg
State: OR
Diagnosed: 05/2015
DK_engineer is on a distinguished road

I take trazodone and flexeril at night. It usually works pretty well for me and I don't feel sleepy during the day. Sounds like trazodone is not an option for you though.

I'm also careful about caffeine intake. No caffeine after noon.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:33 PM #4 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

KatInATardis is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: Fort Worth
State: Texas
Diagnosed: 11/1994
KatInATardis is on a distinguished road

I have had trouble finding a medicine that doesn't make it super hard for me to wake up - having a young child I want to be able to wake up quickly and easily if needed.

Amitriptylin worked really well for me for a little while - but then I started noticing that my OCD symptoms were returning fiercely. I struggled horrible with OCD in my late teens/early twenties and was very sick - mentally and physically due to it. I made the decision to live with my insomnia than have the OCD get out of control again.

I did cut out caffeine for a long time but have been having some caffeinated drinks again lately.
Closed Thread

Tags
back, chronic, chronic pain, depression, flexeril, gabapentin, good, headaches, medication, meds, pain, relaxing, rls, sleep, sleep meds, work