Old 10-14-2015, 02:16 PM #1 (permalink)
Registered Member

Cheryl Ann is on a distinguished road
Registered Member
City: Kalamazoo
State: Michigan
Diagnosed: 04/2013
Interest: I have Fibromyalgia, chronic pain, or chronic fatigue.
Default Enbrel or Humira?

When I saw my rheumatologist last week, she said she wanted me to read up on Enbril and Humira. For goodness sake, they both can make you susceptible to TB and Enbril can also make you more susceptible to some types of cancer. I don't know what to do. Who wants to take a drug like those?

From the Humira site:
Patients treated with HUMIRA are at increased risk for developing serious infections that may lead to hospitalization or death. Most patients who developed these infections were taking concomitant immunosuppressants such as methotrexate or corticosteroids.

Discontinue HUMIRA if a patient develops a serious infection or sepsis.

Reported infections include:

Active tuberculosis (TB), including reactivation of latent TB. Patients with TB have frequently presented with disseminated or extrapulmonary disease. Test patients for latent TB before HUMIRA use and during therapy. Initiate treatment for latent TB prior to HUMIRA use.
Invasive fungal infections, including histoplasmosis, coccidioidomycosis, candidiasis, aspergillosis, blastomycosis, and pneumocystosis. Patients with histoplasmosis or other invasive fungal infections may present with disseminated, rather than localized, disease. Antigen and antibody testing for histoplasmosis may be negative in some patients with active infection. Consider empiric anti-fungal therapy in patients at risk for invasive fungal infections who develop severe systemic illness.
Bacterial, viral, and other infections due to opportunistic pathogens, including Legionella and Listeria.

Has anyone ever taken either of these drugs? How is the drug working for you?
This is so scary to me.

Last edited by Cheryl Ann : 10-14-2015 at 02:22 PM
Old 10-16-2015, 03:06 AM #2 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member
Registered Member

diamond is a jewel in the roughdiamond is a jewel in the roughdiamond is a jewel in the roughdiamond is a jewel in the rough
Very Helpful Member
Registered Member
City: somewhere
State: anywhere
Diagnosed: 01/2008
diamond is a jewel in the roughdiamond is a jewel in the roughdiamond is a jewel in the roughdiamond is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Enbrel or Humira?

oh my goodness its up to you but i would be tooo afraid and that would cause my fibro or anything else to get worse. If only the drugs didn't have side affects and we are already more senstive then normal people. It fills me with a sick feeling just reading your post and all those side affects! I wish you luck deciding this one...others might think differently.hugs
Old 10-16-2015, 12:37 PM #3 (permalink)
Registered Member

Registered Member
City: Kalamazoo
State: Michigan
Diagnosed: 04/2013
Default Re: Enbrel or Humira?

Thanks Willow. I'll take the good luck and hugs
Closed Thread

Tags
confused, death, drugs, good, humira, lead, men, rheumatologist, sad, test, testing, therapy, treatment, wanted, working