Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Pa
I'm writing this with hope that someone knows someone my age with fibromyalgia. I've done extensive research asked all 3 of my doctors but have come up with a big fat zero. It has been very helpful to see different perspectives from everyone on this page with what they are going through but it seems that the effects of FM are effecting me differently and everyone on her is female pretty much and I'm a male and at 19 everyone seems to be at least 15 years older then me so its very difficult. Even for my doctors are not sure what to do because they have not seen a case like mine.

Re: Help!

There have been younger girls on here a while back Jordan ...but you are right no men are contributing at the moment.

I hope you find what you are looking for soon. Maybe there are other support sites even if they are specific to other countries with younger guys on.

Its very quiet on here at the moment too. When i joined around October 2015 there was lots of interchat and new threads. x

We had quite a few men on here.but trust me weather your 20 or 40 your still robbed of a life.im 43 but I should be stomping about in my prime .apparently a women's prime is in her 40s .well if that's the case I'm a fed up as u are .
So try and forget we old fogees on here are old ⚰ and learn what u can . U can still tell us what helps u or ask us stuff.
I promise to turn my hearing aid right up ��������

It may not make any difference now to our lives but i am grateful that at 19 i was not in turmoil with this illness and at least had my first 46 years pain free.

Please stay on here Jordan we value your contribution.

Jordan, I don't personally know of anyone with FM your age but have heard a woman speak of her 12 yr. old son having it. I have never been pain free as the migraines started when I was 5 yr. old when I would play outside in the summer where it was typically 100+*. Then when I started work on my feet all day at 18-they became more regular.

Yes, it is unusually quiet of late!

Hahaha forgetmenot I'm sorry if it came off that I was calling you old, I meant no disrespect. I'm learning a lot of valuable things being on this website I have just been trying to find someone to share the experience with that is around my age sinc and the most likely do the same things or have the same time of schedule. Sorry again if it made it seem that way.

I would like to beleave a womans prime is anytime with the right Man, ...:D.

Jordan, a dear male friend of mine also has Fibro, and he is close to your age (23). One of the hardest things he has dealt with is figuring out how he is supposed to support his two children. He is a single father of two very young children. I think it weighs heavily on him (from the conversations we have had) that he has been raised in a society (in general) that holds people to certain expectations that can be gender specific. (ie: Men should be the provider and protector, while women are the nurturing and emotionally supportive ones.) I do not necessarily agree with gender roles, but for my friend it seems to be his biggest stumbling block. He has said he doesn't feel like much of a man because his pain controls him, and he is unable to work and provide for his family in the way he believes he should be doing. I just try to be supportive and remind him that nothing about Fibro is fair to anyone, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, and so on. It is unfair, and different, to every single life it touches.

I am not suggesting you feel the same way as my friend does, but was just giving his perspective. I think Fibro impacts each and every one of us differently, and it constantly changing and evolving, as we age, find new limits as to what we can do, find effective treatments, and so on.

I hope you are able to find people in your peer group so that you can benefit from their support and understanding. My son is older than you, but if you ever need someone to listen or bounce ideas off of, I am usually pretty adept at being supportive. (Although I may talk in "mom speak" from time to time; can't help it after almost 25 years of motherhood, lol)

Hi Jordan if you are around there is a guy called David who is posting on here recently...i think he is a moderator. maybe you can connect with him as another male sufferer. hugs

Oh Jordan, thank you for making me feel 150!instead if 100! Lol jk. It's no easy at any age. My son will be 19 next month. He is a self medicating fibro baby. I'm afraid a lot people tend to try what they think is the easy road,(the younger the more likely) that combined with less common age/gender factor is going to make "your kind" (now who feels discriminated against? Jkjkjk). Really difficult but not impossible. My son is one, he is just sole searching, I think this is an incredibly difficult disease to deal with at any age, and no offense but your almost still a kid, still finding your way not to mention the male ego. Most men find it very hard to accept they aren't perfect providers. Stick around and keep looking for close to your age guys. In the meantime I know there are some females close to your age. You could start with friending with some of them and build from there.
hopefully just knowing there is an 18 year old boy in Texas with the same disease is a little comfort. "Your kind" does exist! Your not alone on that one : ) (Do you hear spooky music in the back ground?)

Last edited:

Jordan, I don't personally know of anyone with FM your age but have heard a woman speak of her 12 yr. old son having it. I have never been pain free as the migraines started when I was 5 yr. old when I would play outside in the summer where it was typically 100+*. Then when I started work on my feet all day at 18-they became more regular.

Yes, it is unusually quiet of late!
I'm not a guy, but I am 25! I've had a lot of the symptoms most of my life--I don't think I've ever been pain-free, either! I started with migraines pretty early on as well.

I heard on Facebook that a girl was diagnosed at the age of 17!

I think the thing about men rarely being Fibro sufferers may be due to unfortunate stereotypes. I know so many men who would never go to the doctor, no matter how bad things are. Our culture has convinced a lot of young men that you can't talk about being in pain. I'm sure there are plenty of men who have it but are too stubborn to actually talk about their symptoms with their doctor. I have a LOT of male friends, and most of them are like that, as far as refusing to go to the doctor.

I'm sorry your Fibro's been roughing you up, and I hope this community helps you stand up on your feet again. :)

Hi jordan...my daughter has just been diagnosed with fibro and ME ...i know shese not a bloke... ;-) But she is 23.. I think its very hard for her to take in at her age and also because we,ve both been diagnosed at the same time its hard.My 16 year old son complains of very similar symptoms also :-/ im wondering if he will be next.
So sorry you are having to deal with this crap at your age..hopefuly you will manage to find ways to get through so that you still have a good quality of life and a great future inspite of it x

I have felt the same way for a while! I'm 20 and a girl. I've been diagnosed since I was 12 though, which seems even crazier to me. The chronic fatigue and brain fog really suck when we're at an age when it's hard enough to figure out how to be an adult already...definitely doesn't make it any easier :( Hang in there, and if you have any tips on feeling like a normal young adult I'm all ears cause I'm just as lost, lol

Bsjohnson Jordan hasnt been on here for a while and was really desperate to find someone young with fibro. I was quite worried about him. He started a blog on line called fibromystery but that has gone quiet too.

Maybe you could find the blog and make contact with him via that. I bet he would be uplifted to make a young friend with fibro as you must face many of the same emotions and obstacles.

I'm writing this with hope that someone knows someone my age with fibromyalgia. I've done extensive research asked all 3 of my doctors but have come up with a big fat zero. It has been very helpful to see different perspectives from everyone on this page with what they are going through but it seems that the effects of FM are effecting me differently and everyone on her is female pretty much and I'm a male and at 19 everyone seems to be at least 15 years older then me so its very difficult. Even for my doctors are not sure what to do because they have not seen a case like mine.

Jordan, a lot members who are your age or a bit older have joined lately. Some report being diagnosed at age 15 and older. Don't worry, you are not alone. If you search around you will find other young people, for me it's hard to read this kind of posts because I was also showing signs of fibro very early on... it's never easy. It breaks my heart young people have to go through this kind of hardships...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back