Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
uk
State
wiltshire
Just wondering if anyone has some positive stories or outcomes regarding how you manage this difficult condition..and specificaly without the use of medication.
Or any strategies that have helped.Or even anyone who has periods of wellness or atleast periods of less pain as i do.
I personaly believe strongly that i can recover from this,or atleast minimise the symptoms which im sure is a very controversial subject.
Love to hear your thoughts.

minimizing symptoms is definitely possible and something many of us strive for constantly. i went off medicine for 6 months hoping that i could find a holistic natural way to treat my symptoms, but i ended having the worst pain and fatigue since my diagnosis. so now i combine medicine, supplements, gentle exercise, therapy, low stress lifestyle, juicing, healthier diet, stretching, trigger point therapy, foam rolling, swimming to minimize pain and fatigue. it is a working cocktail that many folks on this forum will tell you is specific to your individual body. what works for me won't necessary work for you and vice versa.

My best advice would be keep stress to absolute minimum and keep as gently active as possible. My fibro was probably at higher end of scale from day one as no way could i work...i had to give up driving... and was usually in bed by 7pm. However i still achieved a reasonable amount and walked quite a few times a week for about 40 minutes to an hour.

It was a big unresolvable trauma that changed my fibro to so severe i can do very little...so put your health first and where ever possible don't let external stresses become too important.

Oh yes, there are inspiring stories of individuals who have suffered from FM and recovered. There is one case of a nurse who was suffering from FM. She designed the U Comfort pillow which is used by people with FM and it is quite effective in ameliorating neck pains. She went on to recover from FM. A 20 minute massage in aching areas with an anti-inflammatory agent like Vaporub lessens the pain; reducing intake of caffeine; taking infusions of St. John's wort to fight depression and intake of Magnesium a supplements work quite well. In addition, one can consult the physician on the use of medical marijuana.

Thankyou guys, i posted replies to people but they went missing... Interesting to hear all your thoughts...i swear by magnesium as it uptakes all other minerals and we are all depleted due to poor soil quality.i am conviced deficiencies exhaserbate symptoms of anything, having suffered from them, vit b12 vitamin d and iron.. God knows what else...
Oh willow if only.. Stress is very difficult to avoid but you are completely right..minimise as much as humanly possible :).. And yep like you, several ongoing life long traumas... As i was saying in my intro, i am not remotely surprised im the way i am now...its really nice to connect with people so thankyou..
I am currently coming out of a several months depression like ive never experienced before so at last feel able to talk xx

I still work full time, so pacing is very important for me to stay functional.

Exercise is also very good for me - I do walking and swimming. Walking is more convenient; swimming is more effective. Just today I was feeling some pretty intense pain so I went swimming. Afterwards the pain back to normal levels.

I've minimized how much I perform tasks that reliably aggravate my pain. For example, clicking a mouse and using a keyboard are painful, so I got a mouse pad, light io keyboard and voice recognition software.

Also helpful - Stress control, meditation, sleep, taking my suppliments and medications (I finally got a weekly Pill box because I kept forgetting whether or not I had taken my pills),

Glad the depression is lifting at least, well done for that ...it's not easy with fibro to keep your mood up.

Hi dk, yes exersise is so helpful..i get into funks with it if a have a flair, i get alot of groin thigh, pelvic pain like liads of pinched nerves or something so its hard to walk sometimes then its a vicious cycle..but when i make myself and push past it it helps hugely..
So i take it your cbt hands and fingers hurt lime mine also?
Im glad youve managed to fi d stratagies that help you..
I really feel that sitti g around aggrivates my fibro and the depression that seems to go with it..if ibdont get up and get going in the morning i will feel awful all day x

Thankyou willow, im starting to have the strong realisation that some of it is definitely seasonal x

To be honest I have yet to find something that works for me. My pain is not so bad right now, but I know it will get worse, specially my lower back, my knees and my hips. I might actually try the water therapy. I've heard great things about it, plus it sounds like a great way t get some activity in, specially if you have knee problems like I do (sadly I have gained weight in the last year or so). I have noticed my pain is better during the warm months, but not so good during the wet cold ones.

The positive side is that I've been able to stay free from taking pain meds (I will leave that for later, for when my pain is almost unbearable). But I can tell you one thing... losing weight helps loads! So does activity, and a good diet.

I agree with exercise and healthy diet - critical. I figure I will be in pain anyway, moving helps. For me that means morning exercise - I get up & have coffee and then do something. Then I stretch lots too. I walk, lift light weights, do yoga, step aerobics, getting in the water is awesome too. If I wait to do something later in the day, I know I won't do it - I'm a zombie by evenings. I do have more energy in summer months - as long as it's not rainy.

Avoiding stress (ha - easier said than done) is also critical. Deep breathing, reading, even playing silly computer games - distraction helps. My son got in trouble in school the other day and I was so mad at him......and then in so much pain.

We all have our tricks to help - what meds we can tolerate, I guess I would mention sleep too, very important ! Pacing...

Hi trellum, so sorry you cant find something to help,and when the pain is in the ower half of your bodybits even harder to do anything, walking can be very hard..such a shame that no one knows what fibro really is, as if we did know there would be more possability of finding something that helps.
The only meds i take are strong codien occasionaly and only when the pain is bad...so funny a practice nurse told me to take paracetamol the other day for severe lower back pain i was having.. Lol..why would i strain my liver for absaloutely no reason?? Anyone with this knows that most pain relief doesnt touch the sides..eventhe stronger stuff only takes the edge off..

Btw sorry about my typos, doing forum on the phone its not very compatable lol (bodybits) ha!

Hi northenelf
Yep im with you.. And i have a teenage son so i know what thats like too... Stressful......my 23 year old daughter has also been diagnosed with ME and fibro....more stress...trying to hold down a job plus bring up kids and all the other pressures life chucks out with fibromyalgia is tough as hell.
I am the opositeway round to you, im better in the evenings..particulary mood wise..i feel pretty crap all day, getting motivated is so hard at times..if im not careful i can just sit staring at a wall for hours, as i dont know what to do with myself..its horrible...i have to get going or i,ll be stuck all day..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back