Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
UK
State
anywhere
Does anyone else suffer with very dry skin that goes sore when you shower or wash it.

I have used very pure products on my face as i have always had sensitive skin but for the last year my feet legs and hands have all started to go red and sore when i walk from rubbing on soft trousers and socks and even from wearing gloves to wash the dishes.

I put soft cotton gloves inside vinyl gloves (not rubber in case its an irrritant ) to wash dishes but my hands still get very hot and burn afterwards.

When i shower these parts go bright red too and worse as i gently towel dry.

I have had the year from hell pain wise and my lifestyle has changed dramatically with little activity although i try very hard.

My hair is suffering to...falls out a lot and breaks and the back hair stops growing at a certain length.

Honestly while it doesn't compare with pain it would be nice to be left with some bits of ourselves that boost our self esteem.

When I was at my worst, my husband turned the water pressure down and I took quick barely warm showers. Coconut oil and back on a pile of pillows with every limb placed perfectly. Cold pack instead of heat. It was misery, I don't know how it came to pass, but it did and I hold my breath not to return to that state. My heart goes out to you.

Those are the small big things that can make all the difference in the world and help us go through the day.

I understand exactly Eyesup I have been stuck like that shower... bed...hot water bottles......ice.....for most of the last year.

I guess it's just another level of the overall sensitization volume control being turned up...all because of emotional hurt I couldn't get over...link it with physical pain and it hurts even more that someone you love seemingly doesn't care how much pain you are in so long as their needs are voiced and met.

Then they finally see the results because you can no longer do all the things you could and are really sorry but it's too late because whatever this limbic system fault that for me i can feel rev up is stuck.

That all probably won't make sense but it does to me!

Makes perfect scence. At least they see the damage they've done. Mine don't. I have always been very careful of the things I say and do as there are some things you can never take back or undo. I've tried to teach my kids and hubby this but it seems like selfishness sometimes consumes them and I tend to be the one that gets the consequences. I don't know why it works out that way but it does and I try to just move on. It's not always that easy though. But the fact that I've made mistakes too makes it easier to forgive.

So yes, I think I understand what your saying.

Thanks for understanding...yes i am the one who cops the consequences too.I guess that's in part because we can't rely on our bodies once they get this bad to occupy and distract us.

Other people have their moments ...get some sleep and then their life goes back to normal.

I'm rambling now.

My hair is suffering to...falls out a lot and breaks and the back hair stops growing at a certain length.

There is a post talking about a dermatological problem that is common among people who have fibro. Do you sometimes get a burning scalp? If so, you really need go see a dermatologist. I never had it, but I had other kind of hair loss, the hereditary one, thankfully it slowed down, but from what you described it sounds you are suffering from miniaturization. Are you going through menopause?

I am 56 and no sign of menopause yet although it must be looming and hormone levels must be falling. Yes i had attributed some of these issues to my age.

I had lovely thick wavy hair and the breakage and some hairs at the back not growing as long started at 47 at the same time as i got fibromyalgia...it's got worse lately.

Yes Willow, I get the same problem; I know it's nothing to do with the weather nor drinking enough water. But I do notice that if I get angry,
it will bring on redness with powdery dryness (mostly on top of hands/underside of arms) and then if I am just depressed and go on a crying
jag, it will just get powdery dry with cracked skin, and it will last for at least a couple of days.

I take hyaluronic acid supplements after an episode and I think that helps. I know they make serums too for moisturizing that I want to try.

56 and no signs of menopause, good for you, wish I could say that...I started with peri at 44!

Thanks sureimsore....i take cod liver oil and evening primrose oil capsule which is supposed to support skin health...i will look into hyaluronic supplements.

Skin problems are common even in individuals without fibromyalgia so don't fret since a solution is at hand. I suppose you have fibro rash which is a problem in 50-80% of patients with fibro which makes one uncomfortable what with the bumps. It could at worst be a pointer to an underlying cause like lupus. But in most cases it is an inflammation of the skin caused by histamines or an allergic reaction to the drugs you are using. Taking antihistamines like Sudocream and corticosteroid cream helps alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back