Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
IN
I have a lot of trouble with sleeping. I do take Benedryl to help me sleep, but it really isn't helping the second half of the night. I can fall asleep just fine (unless I'm dealing with anxiety) and I sleep for 3-4 hours before waking up to use the bathroom. Then, it will take me sometimes 30-60 minutes to fall back asleep and then I'm up when the sun comes up.

There are some nights that this doesn't happen and I can fall right back asleep after waking up, but it doesn't happen too often. When I don't sleep well, my body lets me know with pain. This week has been horrid for sleep and has been spent in a lot of pain all over. Even my fingers and toes hurt :???:

I'm really reluctant to take any prescription sleep medication because of all the side effects. Does anyone else deal with sleep issues and what do you do to help?

I have used a "dual action" (that's what it says on the label) Melatonin. I suspect that it is formulated in both immediate & delayed release. It is made by Webber here in Canada.

Lorna

My doctor gave me Trazodone to help me sleep. It is an antidepressant that has the side eeffect of making people sleepy. It clears out of your system fast, so I don't feel groggy the next day. It's not perfect - I still have an occasional bad night, but it is good enough for what I need.

Another that has been helpful is using a sleeping mask and earplugs. I think of it as not giving my body an excuse to wake up

My doctor gave me Trazodone to help me sleep. It is an antidepressant that has the side eeffect of making people sleepy. It clears out of your system fast, so I don't feel groggy the next day. It's not perfect - I still have an occasional bad night, but it is good enough for what I need.

Another that has been helpful is using a sleeping mask and earplugs. I think of it as not giving my body an excuse to wake up

Yes, I have been on Trazodone in the past, only during stressful periods when I couldn't stay asleep. I would sleep like a baby and feel fine in the morning. And it doesn't take alot--I was doing 25mg (half tab).

I do the nightmask and earplugs too now that I'm not taking anything.

My husband takes 100 mg of Trazadone to help him, but it doesn't do too well for him, so I wasn't sure about it. Might ask my doctor about it since I see it can help.

I use a fan for white noise, but I already have a Cpap mask and chin strap on my face, so I don't think I want to add anything else lol But I am going to look into a room darkening curtain.

Thank you :)

Find it hard to get sleep with hip n shoulder pain most nights. It's like lying on rocks. Sleep mask, earplugs, blackout curtain and magnesium before bed help.
Bad sleep = mood and pain are worse. Oversleep = same thing. Has to be exactly 7hr50min oddly enough.

If OTC medicines aren't working maybe try to talk to your doctor. But, I know how doctors can be. If that doesn't work, there are tons of different OTC sleep aids but if Benadryl isn't working stay away from medicines containing diphenhydramine, that's the active ingredient in Benedrl. Try Unisom natural sleep tabs, the Walmart generic is half the price and works the same.

OTC solutions only make it worse after a while, if it's physically possible go for a walk. Yes, I'm serious, exercise, even something as light as a 30 minute walk can help you sleep much better. That is actually the only thing that can help me sleep when I am under a lot stress and super anxious.

I have amitripolyn to help me sleep and it helps the nerve pain,so ask for something.i also have another pill as I have bi polar 2,and my brain refuses to shut down,I can talk to myself all night long with no sleep at all.if u have anxiety sleep is hopeless .amitripolyn will make u feel drunk for a few days . But getting sleep will help so much with your pain X

Actually I am having the same problems sleeping, whenever there is pain sleep doesn't come...

I take a supplement every night to help me fall and stay asleep, and also find that I am able to sleep deeper. It is called Kavinace Ultra PM and it contains melatonin, 5-htp and GABA, which all help with sleep.

The moment you go the medication route with regard to sleep issues, things get increasingly complicated. I make sure that I get involved in activities that would make me tired so as to have quality sleep. In my area, most people take Panadol to tame pain. Others take aspirin. With regard to sleep, a few tablets of Piriton would suffice. But over time, if one can summon enough guts, the body has a way of conditioning to get used to pain and it becomes a manageable aspect of the lifestyle. I am not being cynical but there is scientific evidence to back the fact.

Remnant.my sweet.the thing is ppl like me ,who have bi polar CANT just run around and get tired ,my body could be exhausted .But my brain don't turn off.
And ppl with fibro pain that consumes there every waking moment ,can't turn off with a few paracetamol .antihispomines like pirton are no good if u are already on hayfever meds .
So I see its ok for some folk but not for others .x

I somewhat agree with you Remnant; I mean, we all go on and just deal with the pain. But we all have different degrees of it and different pain thresholds.

And sometimes it's relative. I once went a month with an undiagnosed problem with the Trigeminal Nerve, where the root of a tooth was strangling it. It was like someone was sticking a steel sword through my brain 24/7, and no narcotic helped for more than 15min. It is one of those pains that you pray never happens to you. Anyway, so for me, almost any other pain I've had since, although it makes me miserable, is a cake-walk compared to that and I can deal with it.

But getting back to sleep, although I have always been a very light sleeper, and worn the 33 ear plugs, I'm conditioning myself to fall asleep with the radio. I play it very low, listening to Christian music. In general, I wake feeling calmer/relaxed. Perhaps just placebo effect. But I imagine any relaxing music would help as well (smooth jazz, new age).

I think you are overly concerned with how much deep sleep you need. Even if you just close your eyes that alone will allow you to fall into a shallow sleep without you even realising it and that will refresh you more than nothing. Usually deep sleep will follow on it's own.

Many times I will lie down without the intention of sleeping and before I realise it 2 hours have passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back