Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2005
Country
US
State
TX
Moving your body, that is. I've had chronic inflammation and pain my whole life, but when I was injured on top of that, I went through a period where I tried to move as little as possible, because even tiny movements hurt a great deal.

I seemed to develop a philosophy that it was best not to move at all, and I spent several months in bed or on the couch, primarily reading or watching television. I'm sure part of that was due to having been ordered to a month of bed rest after suffering a previous back injury, but I later found out that after the initial 3-day (or so) period of rest to let the initial injury site's swelling go down, I should have been moving.

After several months of moving as little as possible, I was using a cane any time I had to move, and my previous sciatica had returned. I had been in pretty good shape physically, but my body lost conditioning after being at rest for so long, and it was difficult to try to regain my strength.

I don't recommend strenuous activity when you're in pain, but when you're able, get up and move around. Stretch as much of your body as you can, and don't let yourself fall into bad habits, or inactivity, because you could end up worse off.

I agree i was in good shape until my pain and muscle weakness got very bad and now after months of inactivity my muscles are weaker than ever.....and i cant get back to walking far at all.

Oh god yes,I've said this many many times. If I'm stiff it bloody hurts but the best thing I can do is move.
Laying around give me a bad back ,sciatica and very stiff joints.and I've offen said in posts if your not bed ridden ,don't go to bed.i no some ppl can't work that way ,but for the ones who can move pls do so.

I'm in full agreement. Serious pain movement can make worse. But when it lightens up if I don't move around the stiffness gets to me. Sometimes I feel like the tin man from Oz and I just wish a someone could oil my joints. And if corse who doesn't over do it when we are feeling better?!

I completely agree. Sometimes when I'm hurting walking around a bit takes the edge off

I agree!

I've noticed a lot of improvement since I started walking a few weeks ago. I aim for a minimum of 10 minutes, but try to go 20. It's a slow pace, about a 30 minute mile, but it works. Then when I get home I do about 20 minutes of through stretching. I believe that is helping me just as much as the walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back