Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2016
Country
US
State
NY
Besides the pain, actually being able to go or stay asleep has been a HUGE issue for me. At first I stayed up until the early mornings (I'm talking 6 or 7) And then it changed to being able to fall asleep but only getting 5 hours. I recently got prescribed ambien and it seems to help. I try not to take it every day though because I don't want to get hooked. I can now get 6 hours a day which is okay but not great.

Does anyone have any experience with natural / non prescription ways to get to sleep? Maybe switching up their diet or taking certain vitamins? I do try to work out every day but that doesn't seem to make any difference. I limited my caffeine intake to once a week since it worsens my symptoms.

I've used a dual-action Melatonin with success. Essentially, it's a timed release formulation that releases it in stages throughout the night. Here in Canada, it's made by Webber Naturals. I'm sure there are other brands available.

Hsmommy

Amnitriptolane works for some. Ask your Dr.

Thank you for the advice. I will try the melatonin, Hsmommy. Did not have much success in the past, but I never used dual release before. I really don't want another prescription.

I struggle with sleep every night. I am on prescriptions for other things that are supposed to make me sleepy but I think they have the opposite effect. I've tried melatonin and while it might help me relax, I do not achieve restorative sleep with it.

What kind of workout do you do each day? I struggle to find something I can do consistently with the amount of pain and fatigue I have.

For sleep, I take Kavinace Ultra PM by Neuroscience at bedtime. It has a combination of a few supplements that support sleep.

For exercise when I am fatigued, I like to do restorative yoga. It is very restful and not fast-paced; a lot of the class is actually spent lying down in various poses, but it does get the body moving.

Six hours isn't bad for someone with fibro.thats about what I get.of course everyone need diffrent amounts of sleep.
I am the same as moe,I use amitripoline ,but as I have bi polar I'm on a drug that pretty much knocks me out.with out that I'd never sleep.because I can't turn off at night..

For working out, I walk or bike for at least thirty minutes a day. But my pain is not so severe.

Even after I fall asleep I am prone to waking up. I find that it helps to wear a sleeping mask and earplugs.

I take trazadone when I need help falling asleep. I also take gabapentin most nights at bedtime. I find the gabapentin helps me stay asleep. I am no expert but being on a consistent sleep schedule and having a good sleeping environment is helpful. I do not wake up feeling as exhausted or as often as before I began going to bed at the same time every night. I also use a sound machine from Lectrofan. It isn't birds or waves, etc. It is various fan sounds and white noise. Great device. My doctor is adamant about the benefits of getting exercise. I have found some overall improvement by walking each day. I know my limits. I'm not trying to win a race, just cross the finish line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back