Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
ma
I need any and all advice when it comes to sleep. My other symptoms are controlled enough that they do not interfere with my ability to function as a human being. HOWEVER, I cannot sleep during normal times and I am DESPERATE. I go from sleeping between 9am and 4pm some months to 3am to 11pm. Either way I can't get a job or finish school because of it. I am desperate to have a job or internship this summer but I need to be confident in my ability to get to work on time.

Here is what I am already doing...

-Magnesium (pills and epsom salt baths)
-Blue light filtering glasses a few hours before bed
-Natural light lamp in the mornings for about a half hour
-No electronics a couple hours before bed
-High protein snack a few hours before bed and then nothing after that
-Trying to keep a schedule (hard to do when it is nearly useless and I have to get work done at some point)
-Waking up with sleep cycle instead of a set alarm
-Forcing myself awake (even if I do I am done for for a week after)
-Cool room, sleep mask, (have tried) no noise and white noise
-Have tried therapy and acupuncture in the past to help with sleep too
-Took amitriptyline and gabapentin in the past and it didn't help at all
-This isn't even an exhaustive list

Literally anything you do...medications, wacky tips, alternative medicine, any suggestions.

Hiya. Sorry you're having such a bad time with lack of sleep. My sleeping hasn't been great for years, I would take a while to fall asleep but if I was woken up I could never get back to sleep or if I didn't fall asleep by a certain time I couldn't fall asleep at all. I'm the opposite now, I take Amitriptyline every night and am usually so sleepy before I go to bed, I don't have too much trouble falling asleep. I think some medications take a wee while to build up in your system before they have any effect? Amitriptyline is usually started on a low dose but can be increased if necessary. I hope you find something that helps you soon, it's horrible walking around feeling like a zombie all the time.

I read somewhere that a weighted blanket might help in some cases. But for me it's just the opposite; I feel like I'm being crushed by anything heavier than a sheet. For cold nights I made a light blanket out of a piece of flannel and even that seems a bit heavy.

When it comes to supplements, some only work for a while for me so I rotate through them. I rotate through melatonin, valerian, and chamomile tea in various combinations. I just added hawthorn berry for my blood pressure and it's making me very relaxed almost like CBD oil does. CBD oil and hawthorn berry might be worth a try if you already haven't. Handy hint: bioperine (black pepper extract) magnifies the effects of some herbs.

Final recommendation is exercise.

When my sleep cycle was really bad, I took both a fast acting and a slow-release melatonin (douglas laboratories pr), one to help me fall asleep and one to help me stay asleep. Eventually I was able to just use the slow release, and now I'm not needing to use either. I found since being on the effexor that I sleep really heavily (even though I take it in the morning - it kept me awake if I took it at night), but now I have weird, stressful dreams. lol.

Well I didn't sleep for so long.but mine turned out to be depression and bi polar .i couldn't turn my brain off.it was like I was talking to myself all night long.
Maybe see your dr and make sure your not depressed.dr also put me on amitripolyne which helped with fibro pain and sleep.

Well I didn't sleep for so long.but mine turned out to be depression and bi polar .i couldn't turn my brain off.it was like I was talking to myself all night long.
Maybe see your dr and make sure your not depressed.dr also put me on amitripolyne which helped with fibro pain and sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back