Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2013
Country
US
State
KS
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I was diagnosed a few years back and have tried several different medicines, none of which have really done much for me. Now I do realize there isn't a cure-all drug out there, but just wondering what you all take and how you feel it helps with your day to day life. I am an active 33yr old mom but it is so hard some days to even move my fingers to lace shoes. I am currently taking gabapentin 300mg TID but the weight gain side effect has not helped, the more I gain the more pain I'm in. I also take topamax (for other issues/seizures) and they said that would help too but I really haven't noticed anything since starting that 8 months ago. I am meeting with my doctor next week to again discuss meds, so just curious as to what works for you all. Thanks for your time!

Welcome to the forum!

To answer your question; well, it also depends on what you have tried. Have you tried the usual fibro meds? Pregabalin, duloxetine and milnacipran, are first come to mind. I believe it is what most doctors will prescribe first with a fibro diagnosis. I have tried the first 2, at quite high doses for almost a year, but the side-effects (shaking, blurred vision, drowsiness) were so bad that I had to stop. I also tried gabapentin, but it did not help me with my pain.

It took me about 2 years to find the right combination - I now use tramadol+paracetamol and tizanidine (muscle relaxant) for sleeping. However, lately, the pains seem to get even worse, or my body getting used to the meds, so I am planning to go back to the doctor and try out some new/different meds.

It is so very important to communicate well with your doctor. A pain diary might help with that, you can then see how your body reacts to new meds/therapies. And sadly, as fibro patients we really needs to be extra patient. It always takes time to find what works and what does not. Good luck with everything.

It is hard to find the right balance. I'm taking 10-20 mg of amytriptyline at night and flexiril as needed. I also take Aleve often for inflammatory arthritis. I'm not sure which of my symptoms are what, but the ami seems to help me sleep more deeply and the flexiril lessens my muscle pain and spasms. Both with minimal side effects so far. Cymbalta seemed good for pain, but the side effects were very strong for me , I actually wished I could've taken it because it seemed to help the most. Has anyone had bad experience with Cymbalta, but good with Savella?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back