Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2006
Country
US
State
MI
Hi, everyone! Not sure if this topic has been discussed. I wasn't sure what to title it. My question is this: does stretching help you? I have figured out that if I am careful not to overdo it, steady aerobic exercise helps. Also moderate weight lifting seems to help. But I go back and forth about stretching. When I am in a flare I feel the urge to stretch to help the itchy, tight pain radiating from the tender points, but later I'm not sure if it made the pain worse. When I avoid it my range of motion suffers, but I also don't want to make this pain any worse. Anyone figured this out? What works for you?

There are 2 threads just recently started on exercise so this topic can really add to the benefits and encouragement of all. Yes, stretching is extremely beneficial. When we are hurting and finding Ouse,vets less active, particularly while in a flare, stretching can help limber us up. I like to use a foam roller to aid in stretching along with targeting stiff muscles. The roller comes with instructions and pictures of different stretches that target the back, hips, legs, arms etc.

Perhaps one of the mods can move this post to the exercise thread instead of having the same topic in many different threads.

I find stretching problematic, especially with my neck/shoulders. I'm working with a physio now, so I'll let you know when he gives me stretches. Right now he's just working on the tightness - he won't even let me stretch them yet - and is having me be mindful of holding tension in them and how I sleep. My hips, on the other hand, do feel better if I stretch them. I think just go really slowly and you'll know what works and what doesn't. The trick, for me, is that I don't feel the effect until a half hour or so later, so I have to be very careful. I've had people recommend stretching while in bed when you're still warm or stretching in the shower.

I like that most people ask what other people think or do; so thanks for that and your X-perience(s).

So for me ( not DX'd as of yet ) one of the strangest things that happens when I feel the pain coming on is that I look at the floor as if it is calling me to stretch. Depending how intense the pain is I moan all the way down onto my back and often start by rolling from side to side while holding my knees towards my chest. As the action starts taking effect I advance my stretching by doing the dog and cat Yoga Asana and from there I do anything and everything that I have learned over my life time from running stretches to football warm ups. If I can do 30 minutes of them it so far has been the best medicine.
As a trained massage therapist I know and can feel the benefits that they hold for me.
While in massage school I came up with a modality that was dependent on a partner. That's been hard to find. People are weird when it comes to touch...and so it goes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back