Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
09/2014
Country
US
State
wa.
Does IBS include blood in stool? So much fun.

No. A fissure or hemorrhoid will. Is the blood bright red?

Hi Moe,

Not usually.If your constipated or have hemorrhoids that can irritate the lining of the intestines and cause slight bleeding.
IBS usually causes bloating ,gas,diarrhea or constipation.

On the other hand Ulcerative Colitis does cause bleeding,along with other things.

If your not sure see your dr and he can do a test to see if your having blood in your stool.
Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.

If the blood is bright red I would see your doctor

Sagey

Last edited:
my understanding, although I am NOT a medical professional, is that if the blood is red it means that it is coming from the tissues near the anus, and not from the intestine or the stomach, and is therefore not as likely to be something serious.

if your stools are black and tarry, that is more of a concern. that means the blood is coming from higher up in the system.

Bright red blood is generally from lower in the GI system. Black tarry originate from the upper GI, which likes like ground coffee grounds. Any blood stool should be followed up with your physician.

We are lucky to have a medic in our midst!
thanks Medicmurphy. :)

If this is the first time you've noticed this, and it's more than a couple spots, I would get your doctor to check it out. The first time it happened to me I freaked out!
Bright red likely means a hemorrhoid or a scratch is bleeding. Dark and tarry could be much more serious. Either way, your doctor can let you know how to deal with it, or how to help things move more smoothly in general.
I get bad constipation and end up with some bleeding fairly often. If it's bright, stops quickly, and doesn't look like too much, then I don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back