Reason
Other
Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
NY
In recent years, researchers have learned a lot about inflammation's possible role in this condition.Although Fibro sufferers don't have the typical swelling of the joints and other areas like other inflammatory diseases have , it still has inflammation in the body.

According to the Journal of Pain Research published a study in 2017 that looked at 92 different proteins that are known to be related to inflammation.

... scientist now believe inflammation is part of Fibromyalgia's symptoms.
Researchers say it's the "most extensive...inflammatory profiling study of FM patients to date." They reported extensive evidence of inflammation. Not only that, but evidence shows inflammation in the central nervous system (brain and nerves of the spinal cord) as well as systemic.

This work confirmed earlier studies suggesting that certain molecules from the immune system, called cytokines, are high in people with fibromyalgia. That supports the hypothesis that this condition involves immune dysregulation.

The central nervous system has its own immune system, separate from the rest of the body, and the study showed high levels of immune molecules called chemokines, as well.

A 2010 study by Genevra Liptan, MD, suggests that it could be the fascia—a thin layer of connective tissue that surrounds most internal structures—that's inflamed in fibromyalgia. The researcher concludes that fascial dysfunction and inflammation may be what leads to central sensitization, which is believed to be a core feature of the illness.

Central sensitization occurs when the central nervous system becomes hyper-stimulated and over-reacts to input, including pain and other things detected by your senses, such as light, noise, and odors.

It's believed to be at least partially caused by constant pain signals bombarding the brain and spinal cord.

It's interesting because a lot of us here feel inflammation has always been part of Fibromyalgia.Hopefully these studies will help the medical community to use other medications to help us ,instead of the typical Fibromyalgia meds they have available now.

Sagey

I'm not surprised by this study. Interestingly, my Dr has always felt inflammation is involved in FM. This is an encouraging read.

When I was 19 and was going to my first physical therapist for neck/shoulder problems, he recognized there was more going on in my body, and did a whole body scan. He told me back then that I had serious problems with my 'fascia' and that it would cause me lots of pain in the future. I had never heard of the term 'fascia' before, and my GP didn't know of any disorders affecting the fascia either. (I should've pushed the matter, had I, I know I would've been diagnosed with fibro in my early 20's)

And this study proves the physical therapist was right. It is a disorder to our fascia that is causing most of our problems. Now can they please find a cure/treatment please? :)

This is all interesting to me....i always thought there was no inflammation with fibro.

Vicky...i too have recently read about problems with our fascia and this made perfect sense as fascia is connective tissue through out the body.

I think there is much to learn still ..Thanks Sagey.

This is interesting. Do you know where we can find the original study?
From what you said, sounds like Fibro is also more likely to be auto-immune, since "The central nervous system has its own immune system".
Still strange that if it is inflammatory, why most anti-inflammatory do nada. Maybe there needs to be a different type developed to deal with this kind of inflammation.
Definitely sounds like a promising advance in the research

Wonder if that would mean that an anti-inflammatory diet would actually help.

Very Interesting post Sagey , thank you for posting this cause your theory seem to fit some theories that one of my doctor was talking about in the much longer conversations. He's not my fibro doctor and he's treating my anemia , but he seem to love talking about fibromyalgia theories some I agree some .. well a bit out there. Last time I visited him he recommended me to add Selenium in my diet to help my brain fog and fatigue, inflammation, weak immune system , spiraling depression, hormone imbalance that causing cramps , etc. Low in selenium , first sign of deficiency is discoloring nail from white moon shaped growing bigger to white spotting less nail attaching to the nails bed than before. some dark line can appear or brittle nails if you lose a lot of selenium you might experiencing more hair shading than usual. Too much selenium can also be toxic so I looked up for food sort and found Brazilian nuts to be the best way to add selenium in to my diet. But surprisingly found that there's a limited amount you should eat ONLY 1-2 or no more than maximum 3 per day since Brazilian nut contain very high doses of not just selenium but other vitamins and minerals that's important for fibromyalgia diet also. It's like a one stop shop for many of my deficiency problem during my fibro flare up seasons. It help me sleep more restful and I only start taking it 2 nights ago along with my other vitamins and minerals. Buzzing in my legs got more quieter, less tingling numb, inflammation in my fingers and joint today is less painful than yesterday. Still slow but little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back