New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

Stef81 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: Rome
State: Rome
Diagnosed: 03/2008
Interest: I have Fibromyalgia, chronic pain, or chronic fatigue.
Stef81 is on a distinguished road
Default Switching from cymbalta to amitriptyline ...please help

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here, I'll make it quick for you to read so I hope someone can share/help with what's happening to me right now.
Really quickly : I'm switching my long term medication ( cymbalta 8 years) to amitriptyline very low dose (I can't translate in mg cause I'm not quite sure).
I'm having terrible withdrawal symptoms such as dizziness, vertigo, brain fog... Ugh
Obviously I'm not doing it on my own but I just found a new rheumatologist ( is the word correct)? And he decided to change the meds.
Now, I'm paranoid and all, but I'm really feeling poorly ...anyone been or in the same situation? Thanks a lot for reading.
Stefania. Ps
Hope you could read this clearly cause I'm Italian and English is not my mother tongue thanks!
Stef81 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:50 PM #2 (permalink)
Registered Member

vickythecat is a jewel in the roughvickythecat is a jewel in the roughvickythecat is a jewel in the rough
Registered Member
City: fibrocity
State: Earth
Diagnosed: 01/2013
Interest: I have Fibromyalgia, chronic pain, or chronic fatigue.
vickythecat is a jewel in the roughvickythecat is a jewel in the roughvickythecat is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Switching from cymbalta to amitriptyline ...please help

First of all welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you are going through a terrible withdrawal period. All I can say is my experience, and my experience with Cymbalta was horrible. I had to stop taking it after 6 months (and I really REALLY tried to survive through the side effects in those long months), and coming off of it was also no fun. At that point I had no doctor/insurance, so I had to do it on my own and looking back, I should've taken more time and definitely seen a doctor. The trembling & dizziness was taken over by cold sweating, shaking, uneasiness and sleep problems.

Please talk to your doctor about it. I hope you did not completely stop taking Cymbalta, but weaned off of it first. A doctor should guide you along the way, to minimize the horrible withdrawal effects. I can be hard to come off any long term medication, so a good doctor you can talk to is so important.

All the best!
vickythecat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:24 PM #3 (permalink)
Registered Member

Sagey has a spectacular aura aboutSagey has a spectacular aura about
Registered Member
City: Patchogue
State: NY
Diagnosed: 06/2011
Interest: Other
Sagey has a spectacular aura aboutSagey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Switching from cymbalta to amitriptyline ...please help

Hi Stef81 Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry that you are having some withdrawal symptoms from coming off of Cymbalta, a lot of us do.My dr decreased my dose each time I saw him because it's not a good idea to come off that med too fast. We all know those brain zaps and dizziness are not fun. That was one of the reasons I went off that medication.

Try to stay strong before u know it , you'll be off the med and on the other.See if the amytriptillinep works and if it doesn't there's always Savella to try.
Please write back if u have any questions would be glad to help

Sagey
Sagey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
brain, brain fog, cymbalta, dizziness, hope, medication, meds, please help, rheumatologist, symptoms, tongue, vertigo, withdrawal