Registered Member

links56 is on a distinguished road
Registered Member
City: New Boston
State: Illinois
Diagnosed: 01/2013
Interest: I have been diagnosed with FIBRO/CFS/PAIN
links56 is on a distinguished road
Question How many people with Fibro have been in a car crash or simlar tramatic experiance

I haven't been on in awhile but I was wondering how many with fibro have been in a car accident Prior to being diagnosed with Fibro? Just something I was "investigating" on my own. Thanks.
links56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:55 PM #2 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

1PeerMentor is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: Pittsburgh
State: PA
Interest: I have Fibromyalgia, chronic pain, or chronic fatigue.
1PeerMentor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How many people with Fibro have been in a car crash or simlar tramatic experiance

Hello all! I just registered and signed on this very minute. I developed FM after a car accident in 1990. Not uncommonly, it took me 5 years to get a diagnosis. I was fortunate to have seen a Physiatrist - (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) physicians, also known as physiatrists, treat a wide variety of medical conditions affecting the brain, spinal cord, nerves, bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, and tendons.) The first treatment she recommended was stretching that makes a world of difference. That brings me to what I was wondering about in general. I don't see many threads that deal with what ppl are doing to successfully improve and maintain their functioning. That's why I used the username PeerMentor. I've had FM for over 20 years. I've learned many self help methods that are empowering and keep me high functioning. It is extremely empowering to know that you can help yourself!
1PeerMentor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:38 PM #3 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

missv is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: ~~~~
State: Pennsylvania
Diagnosed: 11/2011
missv is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How many people with Fibro have been in a car crash or simlar tramatic experiance

Hi links56,

Yes I was in a car accident about 10 years prior to being diagnosed with fibro. I developed, or should I say I was diagnosed with other things such as sciatica and chronic back pain long before my fibro diagnosis. Good luck!
missv is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to missv For This Useful Post:
diamond (08-10-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 03:02 AM #4 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member
Registered Member

diamond has a spectacular aura aboutdiamond has a spectacular aura aboutdiamond has a spectacular aura about
Very Helpful Member
Registered Member
City: somewhere
State: anywhere
Diagnosed: 01/2008
diamond has a spectacular aura aboutdiamond has a spectacular aura aboutdiamond has a spectacular aura about

i had a fall from steps onto concrete..broke my foot ..my whole foot carried on having unexplained pain and and off for months after the bone had healed ..the pain than spread to my whole left side then the rest of my body over the next year. I was diagnosed with all sorts from frozen shoulder to chondroma patella and plantar fasciitis ..then finally fibro. So weird. I had also been under a lot of stress for the previous few years.
diamond is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:12 PM #5 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

Sam66 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: whitby
State: On
Diagnosed: 08/2016
Sam66 is on a distinguished road

I also had a fall from a chair onto a concrete walkway....Chipped my tailbone, whiplash neck to thoracic spine about three years prior to my diagnosis. I didn't slow down or take the time to heal. My life was filled with family, and work stress. I continued to work 7 days a week for 10 to 12 hours a day. Often working on sick days and vacation from home. The more I accomplished the higher the expectations became. All this for a perfectionist who could never say "no". One day about two years after my fall I just became completely fatigued with morning swelling, stiffness and pain. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, Plantar fascitis, cervical bulging disks, osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis. I also have had GURD's for many years, peptic ulcers, a hiatal hernia, history of migraines, and high cholesterol. For me it's always a guessing game of what my pain is actually stemming from. I have tried Cervical RF neurotomy.... without success, Cortisone injections....without success. I do find that lidocaine and ketamine infusions do give me a bit of relief for about 3 weeks in addition to Cymbalta.
Sam66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam66 For This Useful Post:
diamond (08-10-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:19 AM #6 (permalink)
Registered Member

vickythecat has a spectacular aura aboutvickythecat has a spectacular aura aboutvickythecat has a spectacular aura about
Registered Member
City: fibrocity
State: Earth
Diagnosed: 01/2013
vickythecat has a spectacular aura aboutvickythecat has a spectacular aura aboutvickythecat has a spectacular aura about

I didn't have a car accident, but a bike accident (in a country where there are twice as many bikes than cars on the road!) when I was 19. I was riding quite fast, couldn't stop for this other biker who was going the wrong way at a very fast speed and I was thrown out my bike, hit my head quite hard on the concrete ground. Of course ended up with a concussion, large bruises on the left side of my face/head and a broken finger.

This accident definitely played a part in my never ending neck problems - which make my fibro an even bigger challenge. I had an ccident during PE class at school when I was 15, I hurt my neck real bad. The impact of the bike accident definitely made it all worse.
vickythecat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vickythecat For This Useful Post:
diamond (08-10-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 01:26 PM #7 (permalink)
Registered Member

Sagey has a spectacular aura aboutSagey has a spectacular aura about
Registered Member
City: Patchogue
State: NY
Diagnosed: 06/2011
Interest: Other
Sagey has a spectacular aura aboutSagey has a spectacular aura about

Hi all,

Yes I had a car accident prior to being diagnosed with Fibro.It seems like a lot of us have had neck and back injuries along with Fibro.The chronic pain changes into Fibromyalgia somehow.

Sagey
Sagey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sagey For This Useful Post:
diamond (08-10-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 06:14 AM #8 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

coffee99bean is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: Winnipeg
State: Manitoba
coffee99bean is on a distinguished road

I was in a severe crash when i was 16. That is when my chronic pain started
coffee99bean is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coffee99bean For This Useful Post:
diamond (08-10-2017)