Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NJ
Hi - I am still trying to determine if I have Fibro or not (see my post in do I have fibro) folder. I DO know I don't have Lupus or Rheumatoid arthritis or Lymes, Epstein Barr, Parvo, Hepatitis C and some other things my doc ran tests for. My symptoms began in my hands (which continue to constantly bother me). And I've had chronic back spasms for about 15 years. Also have had irritable bowel for 30 years. And have had neck, shoulder and elbow pain off and on for years. And since hitting menopause over the past year - the wrist and hand pain has worsened and when I get up in morning I am very stiff. My knees and ankles/feet hurt.

I had kidney stone surgery in April and since I'm over 50 I had to be cleared by a Cardiologist and Pulmonologist. I will add that I am in great health overall. I am 5'7, 120 pounds, rarely get a cold or virus. I am a former (social) smoker and have had not had cigarette in 8 years.

Anyway when I had my chest xray in March for the surgery it came back with "minimal biapical pleural parenchymal scarring." Typically this is benign in nature and often results from healing from prior infection, inflammation, or surgery among other things. I've also read it can be age related. The Pulmo said it looked very slight - HOWEVER - he wanted to see me 3 months after my surgery to run some blood work to test for some very rare autoimmune diseases and get a catscan to get a better image of my lungs. SCARY! I will add my Dad passed away of Pulmonary Fibrosis at age 80. The doc said THAT presents in the base of the lungs however they don't know what my Dad's lungs looked like at age 50. So if this is disease related they'd want to catch it early. He said it's unlikely the case though. I will also add that I DO notice some chest tightness and dull aches/pains in my breastbone area - and have read this too can be associated with Fibro, that it is very common in patients.

So after seeing a new GP last month - and I mentioned the lung stuff to her, she said I'm not concerned, maybe we order a CT next year. Then she ran my bloodwork and got the positive ANA for inflammation. Borderline positive. So now she wants me to see the Pulmo now. Just to be safe. Also wants me to see a Rheumatologist who she said can diagnose Fibro AND Carpel Tunnel if that is what is wrong with my wrists. She said she can treat the fibro and has some patients on Cymbalta for it (which I already know I don't want to try. Have been on similar drugs and I don't do well.) Anyone on here use it?

All that said I've been reading about Fibro and a friend mentioned a test that is run for it called FM/a. Is it reliable?

Thanks!

It's supposed to be accurate but I've never come across any conclusive evidence (though I haven't researched it).

A quick test can be found here: Online Fibromyalgia Test | Fibromyalgia Forum, free and relatively accurate as it's what is now recommended as a screening tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back