Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/1998
Country
US
State
PA
I have had fibro for almost 20 years and have tried everything out there with no help. About 6 years ago my Dr suggested taking Vicodin. At first because it is a narcotic I hesitated but finally agreed to try it. It actually did give me relief and I only took between 1/2 - 1 tablet a day mostly at night. About a month ago it stopped working. My Dr said that can happened and that I should stop taking it. So we tapered the dosage so it lessened the chance of withdraw . About 2 days after stopping I started withdrawal symptoms. Sweating, aches and pains(already have those from fibro) but worse and not being able to sleep. My Dr was vague how long withdrawal would last. My question is if anyone has experienced this and how long withdrawal lasts. It's hard dealing with it on top of the fibro. Thanks

I was on them for awhile after a botched surgery, it took a couple weeks until i started feeling better. One thing I learned with fibro, there's no dodging the pain, the pain killers might stop it for awhile but you will end up paying for it in the end anyway. Drink lots of water, good luck and I wish you the quickest withdraw.

I have never been on Vicodin, but I have always been worried about withdrawal issues on all the strong meds I have been on (incl. opiods) and read many articles/blogs about it. What I read over and over again is that it is almost impossible to avoid the hell of pain during withdrawal because fibro is simply the hell of pain and exhaustion. Just like links56 mentioned, the pain might be masked by all the masks, but it will always find you and hit you like nothing you ever felt before. This also goes for exhaustion.

So this is the time to be very very strong and put yourself first. If possible, ask for help from people around you for every day tasks at home/work so that you can take it as easy as possible. Eat healthy, drink lots of food, do relaxation/breathing exercises and count down the days. It might also help to keep a journal so that you can help others in the future on how to best survive this horrible time. And look back in the future what a strong person you were during this difficult time.

All the best, wish you lots of strength.

Vicky is right. Just be strong and get yourself through this. Most addictions of this type will result in a withdrawal period of about three weeks.

this doesn't sound like a long time unless you are the one going through it....then it is interminable.

You can possibly make this shorter by drinking insanely huge amounts of water and diluted fruit juice, take vitamin C, and eat healthy food. Walk around as much as you can. Visualize your body flushing out the toxins. And stay the course, be strong. Best of luck to you!

Thank you all for your responses. I will not give up.

The withdraw symptoms always very tough. During fibro diagnosing period I was on Percocet for a while it help a lot but the side effect was also very bad, then after I'm off from it omg it was hell. My sleep was so violenced I have to wear mitten to go to sleep along with pillows blocking my body both sided, so I won't ended up hurting my self during sleep again that if I could sleep beside bad hyperventilaing , anxiety and panic . Then my doctor put me on lorazepam , I was finally able to sleep. With lorazepam my doctor don't seem to be that much worry about it , but after a while it was me who's more worry I ended up only use it when it's the last resort only. Right now I'm trying my best to stay drug free but I'm only capable of doing it because right now I'm on a life break meaning I'm putting all my life stress , bills, and any other worries on hold for the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back