Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
Uk
State
Angus
My memory has been getting worse and worse lately and it has now hit the point where I am saying things and then forgetting a few minutes later. I am repeating myself constantly and feel like I am annoying everyone I am close to. I am a senior at my work and forgot to brief my PR staff at the weekend meaning I had to go around them all after sending them out to tell them what they where actually outside for. On the same night I forgot to train a new staff member how to operate the cloakroom, forgot to give my staff breaks and forgot to take myself till role and gyest list sheets to help with operation of the cash desk (I work in a night club and am the marketing assistant, senior supervisor and cash desk opperative). None of these things are new to me and yet I cant remember to do them, I had left myself notes in my office, read them and by the time I got down stairs forgot. This happens EVERY DAY. I feel like I am going crazy, like I am losing myself. Has anyone else got fibro fog to this extent and if so how do you cope? I feel so lost and helpless.

Oh Outcast,
I think alot of us are right there with you. I'm still completely dumbfounded by my impaired abilities. I can't find the right words when I KNOW them, I start to mumble sometimes too. Someone will be talking to me and before their sentence is complete, I forgot what they said already and have to ask them again before they walk away. It's very embarassing!

Here is my recommendation: MAKE NOTES, lots of notes and set reminders on your cell phone, even if it seems like something simple, set it in your phone so you get a little ding. It will help. hang in there. And, if you haven't done so yet...start researching your diet...I think some of the food allergies we are prone to contribute heavily to the fog. xo

OCWA, I see your new here so welcome.
Your definitely not alone with the memory fog. I have cried so many times because I couldn't remember what I was supposed to be doing. I really thought I was getting altihmerz. Notes no longer really help as I will read one and set out to do it then fire get what I was setting out to do.
There are many supplements that help with memory loss. The trick is finding one that works for you and is in your price range. It almost always takes time for you to start seeing results from them.. Also if your not getting enough good sleep (the really good deep sleep) your memory will faultier. The alternative section has some good threads and you can go to this sights search bar in type in say the word "memory" it will pull up all post with memory in the thread and you can do some research that way also.
Again, welcome and I hope we will hear more from you.

I have the memory & concentration issues too. I have been off work for 3 months. My pain is mostly under control, but my brain is MIA. It is no longer safe for me to practice my profession (Pharmacy). I miss my brain.

I feel the same way regarding the brain. I am a medical assistant, and it is not safe for me either. My pain is not completely under control. I have been out of work since September 2015. :-(

Re: I cant remember...

Thank you all, I am trying with notes and notifications on my phone. Unfortunately my phone was stolen last month and I have lost all the information I had on it. I will try looking through all the other posts on memory. Hopefully i will find some help. Im so sorry to hear about you both having to stop working, i guess i should feel lucky to still be able to work even if i am doing my job badly. I appreciated you all taking the time to comment. Sending love your way.

For the first 7 years with fibro I didn't have the fog at all...sharp thinking wise I was still the same as when I was healthy.....move on to the last year or so and i have it full on....I can't remember who Ive told what or follow what people say in conversations sometimes.

I used to have a great memory but my short term memory is shot now....it is a loss. I've also lost a lot of my assertiveness recently.....maybe that's just from feeling more vulnerable because my pain has got so much worse and subsequently I'm unable to fulfill my own and others expectations.

Willow - I have the opposite problem with the assertiveness. My personality has changed to be more aggressive and short tempered. I at first thought "ah, I'm 45 and I'm letting loose", but when I started then I realized that the lack of control on my part was more a sign of a neuro issue, hence this FibroFunk!

Outcast - Don't give up and don't submit! I also think that we can get worse if we submit and accept some of these issues. Try to keep your mind as sharp as you can. I've seen some others pose advice as doing puzzles and reading and playing games.

Sarafina i am trying my hardest not to submit, i will never let this illness beat me. I am however losing thhe will to keep my personal relationships. I dont feel that i am getting the support i need and subsequently my issues are affecting my partner and contributing to his depression which is already severe. I am trying to juggle both of our issues and failing to give him the support he needs as i can not remember what i am doing and concentrate on how to help. I feel like i have the weight of both illnesses on my shoulders and they are pushing me further into depression. I am just so lost and dont know how to get out of it. I cant discuss it with my partner, i dont live near family and even if i did they have all doubted i have an illness for years simply thinking i am exagerating and seeking attension. Even with a diagnosis they think this way. I have no one to turn to.

Oh OcWA I am so sorry for your situation and send you a virtual hug from the other end of the UK.

Is there any support you can access via your GP or hospital...councelling or CBT for the depression.....would you consider antidepressant like amitryptiline for sleep and pain reduction and maybe lift your mood too.

What about hubby could he get some better help for his severe depression.

Maybe you could try talking together...not comparing situations but just kindly and warmly expressing how low your fibro is making you.

Could he maybe help with more practical tasks so that aftér work you can rest and don't have so much of the work in the home.

If your hubby had things to do that he knew were helping you maybe it would make him feel good inside and useful...we all need to feel needed.

Also pain clinics offer all sorts of support not just pills.

We have something called Italk...an online or phone or face to face councelling service you can access without a referal.....maybe you have something in Scotland.

Hope I haven't overstepped the mark with advice...x

Sarafina...oh yes I have felt more grumpy too since my pain has been at an all time high for so long. Luckily i live alone so I can have a rant to myself and get it out! LOL

I used to have a wicked quick wit but its pretty dormant lately too along with the fibro fog you can feel a shadow of your former personality.

I cant have amytrytaline i get bad palpitations and other side effects. My docs are trying to keep me away from anti depressants of the tryptic kind ehich are also the ones they think would help. I am trying to get some counselling but the wait is long. Same for my partner. We are both just stuck waiting for help.

I cant talk to him. Any time i even mention my situation he becomes anxious and stressed. If he see's me struggle to move/get up/ lift something he gets frustrated that he cant solve my pain. We have talked in the past when he wasnt as bad about how he can do household tasks to make things easier however he doesnt do them. He says he cant remember how to do things or who he is and i dont know how to help. I try to do things when i feel capable and try to support him however he gets aggitated and says i dont try hard eniugh. I do forget to do things he has asked, i was meant to sort job seekers and ciunsilling for him and left it forever because i forgot i was to do it so i understand why he is stressed but i cant sort both of our lives. My pain litterally makes him worse but i cant get rid of it and i use so mich energy trying to hide it that i get stressed and depressed and cause flare ups.

You have in no way stepped over the mark, i appreciate as much advice as anyone can give. I appreciate honest responces. I will look up italk. I meed to find something like that. I cant handle not being able to ever talk to a physical person about how i feel. I cant even bring it up in my home, i cant talk to family. I am so grateful to everyone on here. I have felt so welcome from the get go and this is the first time in 7 years people have understood what i was going through. Ive had the same issues since i was 18.

Sorry about all my ranting, i feel so whigney. I know a lot more people have it a lot worse. Im just so lost ��

Outcast you can private message me any time...you have a lot on your plate i can hear and feel your desperation.

i understand breaking point and depression.Don't bottle it up on here at least.We don't get fed up hearing and to us your not whinging.

Just sorting your partners job seekers and counceling as well as your own and with fibro is a big burden...let alone all the other life problems we get.

Forgive me for repeating or interfering but your partners depression seems very severe if he can't help with chores that would help reduce your pain.

I know our governments have cut back on services but your partner sounds like he could do with help from a community mental health team who could come into the home and support him...relieve some pressure on you.

Maybe even encourage him to do these things as part of his treatment.

I think they can also support or sign post you to services that help with job seekers or Empoyment and support allowance and maybe if your helping him so much he could get PIP aswell for mental health issues.

Medical evidence helps with all these benefits too.

Forgive me again if i overstep...my hearts in the right place...I don't like to hear you struggle alone.

take Care x

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back