Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
IRL
State
Wexford
Just wondering do many people get depressed with it? I find myself wore out and depressed the majority of the time, everything is a massive struggle. Then out of the blue I'll be in good form for a few days then it's gone again for a couple of months or some random length.

No surprise it causes depression because our life get's pretty much messed up. We need to be optimistic though...

No surprise it causes depression because our life get's pretty much messed up. We need to be optimistic though...

Listen, thanks for the reply. I can't shake the depression this time, I'm wore out like my body. I know it wont last forever but it sucks.

No problem, I am sure you will be able to snap out of it, just try to do something different, something new, something you enjoy doing.

Yes, there is certainly a link between two conditions, and it is hardly surprising when you consider just how much of an impact Fibro can have on your life in general. It can stop you from doing the things that you love, as well as preventing you from seeing your family and friends, so it can certainly cause a long term change in mood. Getting medication for depression might help a little, so if you think that this is something that you are struggling with, then I would certainly recommend that you see your doctor as soon as possible.

my depression is directly correlated with how bad the symptoms are. the more in pain and exhausted i am, the more depressed i am. the better i'm physically feeling, the better mood i'm in. i imagine it is difficult not to be depressed when dealing with any chronic pain and exhaustion with no cure. which is why it's so important to take care of our mental and emotional health just as much as physical. the more depressed we are, the crappier our body feels - it's a vicious cycle. i have a new found respect for seniors who deal with chronic pain and exhaustion, i had no idea this is what they deal with 24-7.

That's why it's so important to fight it, try to get a life despite fibro no matter how hard it is.

In addition to the chronic pain and limitations we experience, Fibromyalgia often takes a toll on our ability to live our lives the way we expected to, our finances, our relationships, etc., so it's no surprise that Fibromyalgia (and other chronic conditions) go hand in hand with Depression. I think a lot of people who don't have the condition (or other such conditions) sometimes think the Depression came first, and that the physical complaints are a manifestation of our decreased mental health, rather than the opposite. I have a friend like that who is constantly comparing my situation with her Depression, which has nothing to do with physical (or financial) issues. It's very irritating, and no matter how many times I've tried to explain that I'm in constant pain, which then flares and becomes even worse, and that my finances are in the toilet, she still compares it to when she was depressed and would lie around watching television all night and then couldn't get up the next day.

I definitely have seen this in my husband. When his symptoms are at their worst, the toll it takes on him mentally and emotionally is massive. I'm honestly not surprised that the two are correlated in some way.

I think when his symptoms are at their worst too, it causes him to become pretty withdrawn, naturally...and that's hard on him, as he's quite a social individual by nature. So I think that doesn't help in making him feel depressed either.

That's a good point, @Cynthia. Being in pain and depressed definitely can take a toll on how social someone is. It's often difficult to maintain the same lifestyle we had prior to having this condition. I often find it difficult to schedule plans, and when I do, I often end up breaking them. After a few times of that happening, all but the most understanding of friends tends to back off, so the person dealing with the health issues tends to become even more isolated. Some, like me, are introverts to start with, and being alone doesn't bother them, but others who were very social creatures can become even more depressed, due to feelings somewhat isolated from previous support networks.

We certainly find who the real friends are! My husband has become so much more precious as he has been an example to me for steadfastness and kindness. No he doesn't always "get it" but how could he without actually suffering through this.

Depression, as some of you said basically--I didn't have any depression-except the rare day that I could snap out of-- till FM. And the depression is directly linked to the increased symptoms. I don't though, have the hopeless feeling anymore as I know it will pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back