Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2016
Country
US
State
OH
Hello, my name is Jillian, I'm 25 years old and last week I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia after numerous tests came back negative for other conditions. I've been noticing joint pain and fatigue for about three years (about the same time I was diagnosed with PTSD) but over the last six months my symptoms have only worsened. Initially I thought it was a bad IBS flare-up, and possibly Crohns or colitis since those conditions run in my family, but my digestive symptoms would come and go, leaving constant joint pain and fatigue. My colonoscopy, upper GI, numerous blood tests and imaging came back completely clear. This , along with symptoms and pressure points, led my doctor to believe fibromyalgia is the culprit. Nothing has improved. I have my "okay" days but most of the time I'm in widespread pain and no matter how much sleep I get, I never feel rested. I'm getting married next November, have no children and work full time. I'm an optician with an optical retail chain so my job entails standing on my feet for long hours on hard surfaces every day. At first I was relieved to have the diagnosis but now that it's sinking in, I'm terrified. This has affected every facet of my life. Luckily my fiancé is supportive but I'm still so overwhelmed with housework and daily tasks I simply can't keep up with. My doctor started me on gabapentin, one a night for a month and to increase it gradually, but I don't feel like it's helping. I'm glad I found a place where I know I'm not alone! Thanks for having me. -J

Welcome to the family,I hope we can help you cope better.
I'm on gabapentin,600 mg.what has your dr started you on.do you sleep ok at night?.a lot of use don't sleep right. We don't go into all stages of sleep, so we wake up just as tired as we went to bed.these are all things to talk to your dr about.
I'm sure the dr will up your gabby ,it's a lot to take in.you have to learn to grieve for your old life. And start to make a new one.it can be as good as u want it to be,try not to worry there is no reason why you can't work ,many many ppl do.its not easy i won't lie to you.some ppl can't work like myself.but don't live tomorrow.for now take one day at a time.sort your meds and move on from there.
But pls stick around read the site,and post whatever u feel u need to. Even if u just want to have a good old moan.we have a few young ppl like yourself on here.sonu won't feel along with us old folk.lol.xx

Thank you for the welcome!

I had to see what my dosage of gabapentin was, it's 100mg. My doc initially wanted me to start with one before bedtime for three days, then two a day, then three a day but I started off very shaky when taking it so I'm down to one before bedtime until I go back next month. He said we need to try this medication first, and if I don't respond well to it there are many others (Lyrica, Cymbalta, etc.)

As far as sleep goes, I've always been a terribly light sleeper and I toss and turn so many times a night. The slightest noise will wake me up. I've worn a FitBit for the past five months and have monitored my sleep closely. Luckily my PTSD has subsided and I'm pretty much "over it", for lack of a better term, but the effects of the physical and mental trauma I endured at the hands of my ex still linger even after I've addressed the flashbacks and the nightmares. I've read that PTSD can trigger fibro, and my doctor agrees. A person can't be abused for years and not be completely affected. I think it's changed my body chemistry.

But for now I'm just taking things one day at a time and trying to keep a positive attitude. I think it's really going to help having a support system like this! I'm even thinking of going to a support group if I can find one in my area that my work schedule can allow.

I found upping my gabby at bed times worked best until I got used to it.even now I can only go up 100 at a time. Sounds a lot I no .but for gabby is really isn't .
Lyrica isn't the nicest drug out there,I don't like to put anyone off ,but everyone I no who's been on it hasn't felt to great.

I am on gabapentin 600 mg 3 times a day. When I got to that level I felt as though I had been cured, but that only lasted for 2 weeks. Now I don't know if gaba is helping or not.

My main concern about gabapentin as that most people I've talked to who have taken it report weight gain. I'm trying my absolute hardest to lose weight but it seems like with PCOS and fibro, even if I'm eating well and exercising to the best of my ability/working full time, I still can't seem to lose like I should. It's a vicious circle and it's not good for someone who's hated her body literally her whole life. And fibro gives me even more of a reason. My fiancé and I want to start a family soon after we get married next year and I'm so afraid that my body won't be able to handle being pregnant. I'm just afraid of everything right now.

Weight gain with most pills means u feel more hungry.so u have to watch what you eat.you won't just gain weight x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back