Old 06-14-2017, 09:56 PM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

Althea913 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: Adrian
State: Michigan
Interest: I have Fibromyalgia, chronic pain, or chronic fatigue.
Unhappy Finally accepting my diagnosis...need help coping

I have suffered with pain for the last 5 years and just recently was officially diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I've just realized that I have been in denial of this because it seems so vague since there is nothing seemingly "wrong" or they don't really know what causes it. I have been on Cymbalta for a little over a year and it does help but I still have bad days. One of my biggest struggles is that I'm tired all the time. I'm struggling with depression because I don't feel like those around me understand what I'm going through. I feel as if they think I'm making it up or that I'm just lazy. It's difficult to get motivated to do anything. I'm married with 4 children and a dog. I'm currently a stay at home mom but feel very unsuccessful in this role due to my lack of energy and motivation. I'm just looking for a place to share with others who understand and get what I'm going through.
Althea913 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:51 PM #2 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

VanGogh is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: Jupiter
State: FL
Interest: I have questions about Fibromyalgia and/or chronic pain.
Default Re: Finally accepting my diagnosis...need help coping

Hi Althea,

Was wondering about your RX of Cymbalta. Did you start taking it before any " depression " set in? I'm asking because one of my doctors wrote an RX of Cymbalta for me and he always RX's the smallest dose possible since my body does not get along too well with medications that are often RX'd by MH Docs. He did tell me that it works on pain and depression but it sits in my med-chest unopened as of yet.

You do not need to answer this question but have you tried talk therapy of the depression? I personally prefer talk therapy to drugs especially since I seem to have a paradoxical reaction to most medications.

In any event I wish you wellness and happiness....happiness seems to work best for me in most cases.

Peace,
Theo
VanGogh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:37 PM #3 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: Adrian
State: Michigan

Theo,
I had depression before my RX Cymbalta. I don't prefer mess either and my body is sensitive as well. I started with the lowest dose and moved up to the next one. When I initially went to the Dr it was for pain and depression/anxiety. That is why they chose Cymbalta for me so they could treat both. It's working well for me. Due to a Dr's negligence I had to go off of it for about 2-3 months and I could see a huge difference in my pain level and emotions. I'm not sure how I would do without it. What exactly is talk therapy?
Althea913 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:05 PM #4 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: Jupiter
State: FL
Interest: I have questions about Fibromyalgia and/or chronic pain.

" What exactly is talk therapy? " It's simply talking with a social worker, or anyone trained in psychological matters. Psychiatrists used to do this most often until drug therapy became fashionable and Zofoft, Paxil, and PROZAC was RX'd for most psyche disorders like anxiety, depression, bi-polar, etc. The therapists with an MD degree just wrote RX's based on the DX's of the ones who talked only.

Hope this helped.
VanGogh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:29 PM #5 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

analyticknitter is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: Norman
State: OK
analyticknitter is on a distinguished road

Hi-I am also newly diagnosed and on Cymbalta. I am an ultra-metabolizer of it so I am now up to 90mg with the goal of being 120mg. I hope it helps. I also prefer talk therapy, and have been involved in it for years, but this has taken the wind out of my sails. One of my primary symptoms is fatigue and I'm not clear if the correct diagnosis is really fibromyalgia or CFS, but I'm not sure that it makes a big difference. I just want to get on with my life..
analyticknitter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:03 PM #6 (permalink)
Registered Member

Sagey has a spectacular aura aboutSagey has a spectacular aura about
Registered Member
City: Patchogue
State: NY
Diagnosed: 06/2011
Interest: Other
Sagey has a spectacular aura aboutSagey has a spectacular aura about

Hi Althea,

I'm glad you came to the forum.Here you can talk when you feel like it,and we get it.

I understand how you feel.Its not an easy disease to deal with.Some medications don't give complete relief,so sometimes we need more than one.

Also sometimes vitamins can help you.I find my VitB 12 sublingual does help me with extra energy.Im also deficient in Vit D so I also take D3 daily and Vit C.A lot of Fibromyalgia patients are deficient in Vit D.
I also started taking a probiotic daily for digestive and immune help.I would talk to your doctor and see what he suggests.Of course trying not to eat processed foods,and eating healthy foods like chicken and fish for the omega fatty acids, is also great.

Having four children takes a lot of energy,so taking breaks for yourself and asking for help is one thing we don't like to do,but we should!
Resting often and pacing what you do during the day,makes a big difference on how we feel.

Some days can be worse then others.You might feel energized one or two days and then feel totally depleted.
I think staying hydrated is another important factor.I remember one week I was weak and wasn't eating or drinking much.I became weak and could barely walk.I went to the dr and I was totally dehydrated.They started me on Intravenous fluids ,right in the office.From then on I'mvery careful about how much fluids I take in,especially water.

I'm sorry your depressed, but if any disease will do it Fibro can. Its frustrating going from a healthy energetic person to one that needs to take it slow.And not get as much accomplished as you use to.
We all have our ways of handling with sadness.I hope u can get help with that.If something doesn't work,don't be afraid to switch and try something else.

I hope your depression improves and you find peace.

Sagey
Sagey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
children, coping, cymbalta, denial, depression, diagnosis, energy, fibromyalgia, looking for, pain, wrong