Forum Supporter
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2012
Country
CA
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping you could help share your ideas about what new Forum Categories we could offer related to Fibromyalgia, or what might be helpful for people?

Ideas might be:

1. Research Updates
  2. Tips, Tricks for Handling Fibro
  3. Current Drug Trials
  4. Similar Conditions
  5. Any other ideas?

Last edited:
You might consider adding different categories for the symptoms of Fibromyalgia.

Does anyone else think it might be helpful?

I thought of another one "Fibromyalgia and Depression"

How about "Book Reviews"

Can we have a " moaners corner" somewhere to feel sorry for ourselves and have a good old rant when we are having really bad days.
That way our venting can be kept out of the more technical areas.

I would like to see something on the following:
-Non-conventional treatments, like acupuncture.
-Evaluating facebook and internet ads claiming to be able to cure fibro. I'd hate not to try something that may work, but I also think there are a lot of people/companies trying to make a buck off our pain. How do we know the difference?
-Statistics on what percentage of those with fibro improve and can return to work. If so, how long did it take? I am on disability and there is no way I can work in my current condition. I miss working... is there any hope that I will be able to return to work someday or should I stop kidding myself?

How about a "Rant or Vent" section that gives hope and encouragement or a "Hobby Discussion." to take your mind off the pain, "Talk about Pets" a topic's that cheer people up. At another forum we had "Coffee-time," it became the spot everyone went to first to welcome in each new day. It was fun and relaxing, and humorous at times, but it made us all feel like best friends or family.

I like the Moaner's Corner Idea... I feel absolutely rotten today... :p

Can we have a " moaners corner" somewhere to feel sorry for ourselves and have a good old rant when we are having really bad days.

That's a great idea. I've learned it's inappropriate to sit and complain all evening at a dinner party recently (lol), so to would it be to complain all across the other forums like you've suggested.

I do believe that new forum will make the list and cut the grade.

I thought of another one "Fibromyalgia and Depression"

Good idea Janet, they almost go hand in hand and could use separate discussion.

I would like to see something on the following:
-Non-conventional treatments, like acupuncture.
-Evaluating facebook and internet ads claiming to be able to cure fibro. I'd hate not to try something that may work, but I also think there are a lot of people/companies trying to make a buck off our pain. How do we know the difference?

I tend to agree but it creates a big problem I have seen on other forums, the ones that I was tired of visiting. These alternative therapy categories become havens and cesspools for miracle cure advertisers, slick snake oil salesmen and similar. Just by having a discussion, which some member will always defend the product or 'miracle cure' (the snake oil sales people), creates a disconnect and allows these people an opportunity to hype their product and as you mentioned, 'profit from our pain'.

I am not naive, I know this will always exist, it's North America and capitalism after all, but it would be nice if we could limit it to a minimum on this forum. That is the goal of the site, to moderate content and make sure it is a place free of false promises and instead, providing hope through positive attitude, open discussion, sharing and caring.

On the other hand, there are things that work other than pharmaceuticals, so I think your suggestion is a good one, and a necessity. Oh what to do :)

Last edited:
How about a "Rant or Vent" section that gives hope and encouragement or a "Hobby Discussion." to take your mind off the pain, "Talk about Pets" a topic's that cheer people up. At another forum we had "Coffee-time," it became the spot everyone went to first to welcome in each new day. It was fun and relaxing, and humorous at times, but it made us all feel like best friends or family.

I like all of those suggestions, I'm going to go and make a few new forums now :)

There's a few more new forums added. I wanted to add more but having a bunch of empty forums wouldn't be very attractive to new members. I think that once there's enough topic-related posts built up in the general forum then we can move them into a new forum to get more specific.

If you have any more or other suggestions please send them over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back