Jettbear

Diagnosis
03/1988
Country
US
State
NY
Hi Everyone,
I have been suffering from fibro for over 25 years. I am 58 and became disabled from it when I turned 50. Got SSD on the first try which is amazing since it is difficult to get. Looking forward to learning about other people's experiences with fibromyalgia and maybe making some new friends.

Jettbear,
Welcome to the forum. How lucky you were to get SSD on the first try. They say it depends on the judges in your state and that some states make the process easier than others. I am 60, so it is easy to understand how fibro can effect your life more and more, the older one gets. Mine started in my late thirties and I continued working until I reached a point that I could no longer use my arms and my legs became to weak to continue on my job.

Anyways, I hope you will jump right in and ask questions or just answer other members with answers based on your own experiences. There are several sections dealing with the symptoms of fibro, as well as, fun topics to post on.

A great way to make new friends is by welcoming in new members. We all love chatting and look forward to seeing new members on the forum. :)

Thanks for the welcome, 1sweed. I was lucky especially living in NY. What helped was that I had 13 years of documentation from all types of practitioners. Rheumy, Primary, podiatrist, chiropractor, physical therapists, neurologist, pychotherapist and Psychiatrist. Gee am I missing someone LOL! I identify with you because mine started in early 30's. My Rheumy just retired and saw someone else who is taking my off pain meds and even muscle relaxers! Not looking forward to it. Saw primary care on Thurs who agreed and is sending me to pain management Dr. I feel like I am being shuffled around again. So enough about me. Could you share your experience about what has worked for you? So are you on SSD? Looking forward to hearing from you and will be on this forum alot! Have a great day!

For me it has been a roller-coaster ride. I am allergic to most of the pain medications and find it hard to think of adding the stronger pain meds for that reason. I have always believed it is better to feel some pain, then non at all, that way I can set limits on what I can and can't do. Some like to use drugs that totally block pain and they never seem to realize that the more they do the worse effects they will have in other symptoms and for the long haul. But it is a personal choice.

I use Neurontin and Excedrin Migraine, for pain. I have added to that Ginger Root capsules when needed. Not sure if that extra kicker helps much or not, but hey, can't hurt me. As you read around the forum you will find I really recommend getting a fiber bed pad. This is a 2 1/2-3 inch thick cotton stuffed pad that lays on top of your regular mattress, under your sheets, and provides added comfort for sore muscles. (Not a mattress pad). They come in all sizes and are found in dept stores and on-line. If you can not afford one as they run close to one-hundred dollars, then use a cotton filled comforter under your sheets. It is amazing how much better you will sleep when the bed really cushions your body.

Epson salts used in bath water is good for relieving sore muscles. Stop multi-tasking and try to avoid stress that causes tense muscles. Like stop fighting over the little stuff. Take time to relax and laughter is good.

Now, read the forum for other members have many more helpful hints. Yes, I am on SSD. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back