Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
TX
Like others before me, I am grateful for a place to discover more about my recently diagnosed fibromyalgia. All of you understand - to some degree - how I am feeling.
Last summer a young man we know from Louisiana told us that his wife has fibromyalgia. We were so sad for this beautiful young couple with 4 children.
Little did we know then that we were going to be challenged by this same condition.
From experience, I have learned that it is important to educate ourselves. I am a strong positive person but have to admit that my inability to function up to my norm has caused me to have bouts of depression. When I grasp the fact that the way I feel ... physically and mentally ... is not "all in my head", I can face the day with more gumption.
I am blessed to have a very loving and supportive husband. Still ... it is difficult to adjust to living with fibromyalgia and multiple accompanying conditions. My life has definitely changed. In November, I resigned from a high paying, but very stressful job. This has detrimentally affected our income but given me an opportunity to concentrate on taking care of myself.
What is most difficult is working with the doctors to determine the best treatment plan. Additional health problems include diverticulitis, IBS, & acute iron deficiency anemia, and these have totally put me out of commission since October. I am almost back to "normal" and can see light at the end of the tunnel. Some days are better than others.
All in all, I am grateful for the experience because it forces me to better understand what is most important. Everyone on this forum is struggling to cope, and it is wonderful that we are here to help others as well as ourselves. I hope to avoid being negative. I don't know if that will always be possible. Today is a relatively good day and, again, I thank all of my new found friends for being open and helpful. God bless each of you!

Sandie,
Welcome to the forum. You sound a lot like me in just gritting your teeth and moving through the pain and fighting the depression. As long as you can ward off the depression as much as possible you will manage better and be happier. I know how bad pain can get you down, and the weakness and fatigue, and the brain fog that is a negative symptom that makes life even more difficult to live with and bear, but keeping a positive outlook does make a difference in the long run.

However, if the depression becomes overwheming be sure to look into seeing a mental health counseler to help you sort out your feelings concerning all the things that you have had to give up or change since fibro has taken over your life. I had to see one for a time after having to give up my work as it was very depressing having to give up something I loved doing. And the counseler showed me how to handle the changes in my life with positive thoughts drather than negative ones. We often think we can just use family and friends, but it is hard to get a objective response and not judgemental or pity. Counselers can show you ways to look at your life and feelings, in totally new ways that you would not think possible that they would work, plus be someone you can share feelings that most would not understand. If you ever need to try for Social Security Disability, having a counseler you trust will be a lifesaver in help and support.

Please feel free to post more and I look forward to seeing your name around the forum. :)

Thanks so much for the welcome. Your helpful comments are most appreciated.

As you said, depression is one of the most difficult aspects of coping with any chronic health challenge. When I was 11, I was diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and spent 6th grade in a hospital bed. With the wise counsel of my grandfather, a Methodist minister, and my tutor, a Lutheran minister, I learned that my faith in God is crucial. The Footprints story says it all.

I plan to return to work Monday in a less demanding position ... and I plan to keep in touch with this forum.

Keep helping others. You are an inspiration and a guiding light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back