Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2000
Country
US
State
TX
I was diagnosed w/ FMS in Jan. 2000 after suffering from a severe respiratory infection. I started with the usual "flu like" symptoms: aching muscles, nasal congestion, cough, and fever (~101 F) in October, 1999. I was given a round of antibiotics which did not help. I continued to have the "flu like" symptoms, including non-stop fever, for the next 2 1/2 months.

In mid-January 2000, the fever, nasal congestion, and cough finally went away. The achiness remained, and continues to this day. I consulted w/ my primary care physician who referred me to a Rheumatologist. I was diagnosed w/ FMS at this time.

FMS has altered my life in many ways. I used to be an outgoing person with many friends. Now, I pretty much isolate myself at home. Friends no longer call. It was difficult for friends not suffering w/ FMS to understand the illness since I didn't look "sick". They did not understand why I would cancel prior engagements, or why, some days, I did not get out of bed. I eventually quit making commitments to go places or do things w/ others because my FMS made me unreliable. I never knew when I would have to cancel an engagement due to a fibro flare.

My husband has been a blessing. He is very supportive and understanding. He knows that FMS is real and teases me when he says, "Nobody could fake being lethargic and in pain for as long as you have without slipping-up at some point in time!" He has seen the dramatic change in me and wishes he could help.

I am glad to have found this forum. It will be nice to communicate with others who truly understand this horrible thing called FMS.

Hi there and welcome to the forums. Having an understanding spouse is a big help, my wife is fantastic. She also busts my chops about how decrepid I have become.

Welcome to the forum. We understand where your coming from and will try our best to offer support and comfort, as you continue trying to live with fibro. Please just jump in and ask any questions that you need a answer to and feel free to vent on bad days and post answers to other members questions, and often share how your days are going. We can help more if we get to know more about you through your posts.

Be sure to read the new post topic's, as well as, the much older ones as well. You will find many different coping skills and things about medications and lots of ideas for reducing the stress levels in your life. And don't forget the off-topic sections for sharing about your hobbies and your day. Look forward to getting to know you and hope you feel better soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back