Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2014
Country
AU
State
VIC
Hello to everyone, although I'm new to this forum I've lived with Fibro & related symptoms for a very long time. Initially diagnosed with Lupus due to ANA in bloods and aches and pains etc, decided to change Rheummy as I seemed to be on huge amount of serious meds and not feeling any better, but thanks to the Prednisalone, certainly significantly higher reading on the old scales!
Anyway main question for the moment is : does anyone out there have any info re Fibro and non-related surgery? From what I've been able to find there are some special considerations with Anesthesia & also post-op pain management. Now, I'm some what of a sook when it comes to pain - although I am beginning to get a new perspective of pain from a Fibro viewpoint.
I'm booked in to have Bariatric Surgery (gastric bypass) in 3 weeks. Over the last 25 years or so, due to combination of pain, fatigue, meds for pain & meds for depression (leading to massive weight gain) I've been unable to do much in the way of regular exercise and unfortunately reached the point of no longer being able to work either. Also extremely high BP which is not responding to meds. Hence after many consultations and attempting every weight loss regime known to man I am booked in for this surgery. BMI currently 40. Suggested weight loss 45kg.
Excited - yes. Scared - absolutely+++.
My surgeon is erring on the side of caution and is expecting my stay in Hospital to be between 7-10 days. Previous experience has shown I don't "heal" well and I'm prone to picking up any infection going around.
Am booked in to see Surgeon again tomorrow, with hubby, to discuss concerns & also seeing bariatric dietician next week to discuss how to best prepare for surgery from nutritional side of things. Unfortunately I can no longer use anti-depressants as I have Tardive Dyskenesia (a movement disorder which is often triggered by psychotropic meds) & while Lyrica seems to be taking the edge off the pain a little, as soon as I'm put on to a more appropriate therapeutic dose I become hypermanic. It sounds good in one way, I can go for 3-4 days non-stop, but, I then pay for it for a month or so. Sleep is not my friend and staying in the same position for more than 30 minutes at any one time causes extreme discomfort.
Back to the surgery. Concerned re Anesthetic and muscle relaxants used. Concerned re management of post-op pain. I also understand that a surgery of this duration can trigger a flare and I'm also concerned about what to do if that is added to the equation. I've also read that Opiod based analgesia often does not seem to 'work' with fibro type pain? ANY tips on any of the above or how to keep moving around post-operatively would be super welcome.
WOW I don't want much do I? If you've read this far I want to say thanks very much.

It is normal for you to expect to spend a little more time in hospital if you have an existing health condition that could affect the way you react to your surgery. The good news is that while you're in hospital you're in the best hands, and this means they can keep a close eye on you in the first few days of your recovery.

With regards to getting up and about, again, they will be able to help you with this. Post-operative patients often have access to a physiotherapy team who will come in and help you to move. If you can, get out of bed and walk around it, if you're able to do this with your pain. If you have a visitor, they should be able to help you. If you can't get out of bed without the help of medical staff then you could try moving your arms and legs, lifting them up and down slightly. Don't try to do too much. The nurses will probably tell you what you can do to stay as active as possible, but if it is something that you're specifically worried about then it is a good idea to just mention it to them and see what they have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back